Is an Insight worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
So I've got a 97 HX with 225XXX miles on it, a 90 CRX with an odometer discrepency, and some cash saved up, and I might be coming into some more. If I could get one for around 6000, would it be worth it? My HX gets 40mpg already, and I've seen the Insight boasted at 60+, but a lot of ebay sellers saying lifetime mpg is only like 50-55. Are these people just driving like assholes for most of the cars life? I also saw a listing stating the IMA battery still read 60%. Is there a way to monitor that or were they talking out their ass? I read that Hondas IMA batteries are still over $1000. So I don't want to get into one and have the battery take a shit on me.

I know 15mpg is a lot more than it sounds like but I have a hard time feeling it would be worth it if I wasn't averaging at least 60. I don't mind the HX but it does need a little bit of work here and there. I know E had an Insight, I wasn't sure if any other members had, or what their experiences have been.

i'd put the work into the HX to make it last a couple more years and see what else comes down the pipe line
insights are over priced and usually have very high miles
who knows what the fuck will break in them, and who the fuck knows how to fix it?
stack your chips, you're gonna be looking for something a little more than an insight or HX in a couple years

E got some hyper mileage out of his. well over 55 most the time. of course, he doesn't believe in 3rd or 4th gears. 1,2,5. lol

I'd keep the hx. you know what it needs, and there's no tax credits involved on the used market anyway.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like its going to give that high of a return. Though I'm kind of leaning toward the HX needing maybe valve springs? I'm not entirely sure, it develops a tap at low tempuratures, and burns a little gas. Plus I think it has developed a gas leak too, but I think I do like the idea of sticking with the problems I know of, instead of trading out for those that I don't.

Back