Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Just natural rise/fall of events

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • It's all nonsense. This happens all the time

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • It's a gov't cover-up :ph34r:

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
Perhaps 2012 isn't such a far off notion afterall. In the past 5 years or so, things have gotten significantly worse. While i certainly don't beleive the world is just going to end on 12/21/2012, there's significant pointers that in just a blink of an eye in earth time, the past 5 years, shit has really started to hit the fan.

Let's recap the past 5 years or so....

massive, stronger hurricanes (katrina, ike, rita, etc )
massive melting of polar icecaps - ClimateGate?
crazy tornado season a few years back for th emid west
xmass tsunami/ strongest earth quake ever recorded
odd snow patterns... DC and other areas broke records by 200% and up.
massive earthquakes everywhere in the past 4 months. hati, chile, a few days ago in china, and today there's one in new guinea at 6.3. Not to mention the oddities like Chicago, etc that never see quakes
Massive rains -> flooding... RI and eastern CT just a few weeks back
the eruption of the volcano in Iceland, of which, many volcanoes are known for erupting from outside forces - earthquakes shift the plates and the magma cells, etc giving it no where else to go but up.
yellowstone, a Super volcano, is showing oddities that haven't been recorded before, perhaps leaning towards signs that its ready to blow. As many as 250 earthquakes int he area in as little as 4 day time frame. Some reaching up to 4.0's. And if it does? bye bye.
Dead Man Musings: Yellowstone Eruption Days Away?

So, what do you think? Are we in for a brutal 2 years as a planet? are these the last 2 years as a planet?
Vote!

I went with option 2. I do think that the Earth is doing some pretty weird shit and if we have a large solar flare or something along those lines shit may hit the fan in a bigger way. It is really odd that all of this stuff has happened so quickly.

well im unsure really i watched a good show on it the other night, and they showed some huggge bunkers that ppl and government are building just for this very thing. they perty much said that its gona be a super flare and burn up everything

Maybe natural disasters are just the new hot button or buzz word for the media. Maybe everything is common we just didn't hear about it before. Who knows. I'm along for the ride either way.

I had my big theory typed out but accidentally hit back, which cleared everything.

I think the Mayans just figured out how to predict when the next galactic alignment is going to happen. The world has always changed, with or without man. Huge deserts used to be huge bodies of water. I think it will just be like the other 1500 predictions the world is going to end every year. I am really excited about the Transit of Venus on June 5-6, 2012 though.

all bullshit

this is just the natural flow of things

disasters seem worse than they use to, because we are better at spotting / recording them, and news agencies like blow them out of proportion more than they use to, in order to keep people scared and riveted to their TV sets increasing ad revenue

even the past 10 years are not all that impressive in the list of strongest earthquakes ever recorded (#5, tie for #6, and #8)
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/word_earthquakes_worldwide_by_magnitude/

even when going by the deadliest earthquakes, Hatti is the only one in the past 40 years to make the list... and its #4
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worlds_deadliest_earthquakes/

so we can pretty much say that earthquakes are NOT getting markedly stronger... they would have been more justified in saying that in the 50s and 60s

for strongest hurricanes to hit the US, Katrina (#2) in 2005 is the only one in the past 10 years followed by Andrew (#4) in 1992
and again the 1960s had 3 spots on that list
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_ten_strongest_hurricanes/

deadliest tornadoes??? the last 50 years doesnt even make the top 10
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_deadliest_us_tornadoes/

the most recent entry on the worlds deadliest floods was in 1975
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worlds_worst_floods_by_death_toll/

for the US's deadliest floods you need to go back to 1976
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_deadliest_us_floods/

the past 10 years are making a decent showing, bringing up the last 4 spots in acreage destroyed by wild fires
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/biggest_us_wildfires/

for snowfall, the 2010 winter storm that hit the east coast is said to be about even with #7 on the list
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worst_us_winter_storms/
(not really sure how they are figuring this one so im not putting much stock into it)

now on the the worst volcano eruptions list the last 101 years only makes the list twice... once in 1909 and the most recent in 1985... really nothing to see here
http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worlds_worst_volcanic_eruptions/

this explains everything quite well
its a bit long... but well worth reading, as it truly does a very good job of explaining what is going on

http://www.epicdisasters.com/index...._increase_in_the_number_of_natural_disasters/
Is Global Warming Causing More Natural Disasters?

The 2005 hurricane season—and the many disasters reported on worldwide—left many people wondering if there has been an increase in the number of natural disasters.

Certainly radical environmentalists would like us to believe that human activity in general—and global warming, specifically—have increased the number of hurricanes, tornadoes and other tragedies. And many on the right wonder if it is a sign of the bibical apocalypse.

So have there been more natural disasters in recent years? In a word, NO.
What we have, rather, is an increase in our ability to detect hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.

Lets take a look at the most active hurricane seasons on record:
Year # of Storms # of Hurricanes
2005 22 12
1931 21 10
1969 18 12
1995 19 11
1936 16 15

While is is true that 2005 has been recorded as the worst year ever, 1931 and 1936 are not far behind. Furthermore, note that back then there were no weather satellites to track storms from above. If a storm formed out to sea and then blew itself out, no one noticed. If a hurricane formed but didn’t hit land, it wasn’t recorded.

Given that, its entirely possible—even likely—that the worst year ever was 1931. All it would take was to miss just two tropical storms and three hurricanes.

And that doesn’t even go to the question of whether or not there were worst hurricane seasons before records were kept. Hurricanes have only been seriously tracked since the 1850s.

In terms of the worst decades for hurricanes, the 1940s rank first. The 1990s rank 10th in the 15 decades for which records are available.

What about the increasing damage that hurricanes seem to cause?

That’s easy to explain. There are more people living on the coasts—and thus more damage. In 1920, there were just 500,000 people living in Florida’s coastal areas. Today, there are more than 13 million.

More people. More things to damage.

And how about tornadoes? The recent Evansville, Indiana tornado has been used as evidence of increasing tornado violence.

In the first place, the 22 dead in Evansville in 2005 pales in comparison to the 1925 Tri State Tornado’s 625 casualties. With no disrespect intended to the people of Evansville, it just doesn’t compare.

Further, because there are more people in the United States, it is only logical to expect that there are more places for tornadoes to touch down and do damage.

Interestingly, the US weather service HAS reported a slight increase in the number of tornadoes in recent years. But the increase is attributed to the establishment of the national Doppler Radar System. We simply are getting better at finding them. Prior to a national radar system, a tornado could form in the wilderness and no one would be the wiser. Now, we spot them.

A similar situation exists with earthquakes. The US Geologic Survey reports a slight increase in the number of earthquakes over the last few years. But, as with tornadoes and hurricanes, this is simply a matter of our increasing ability to detect them.

In 1931, there were only about 350 earthquake detecting seismograph stations in the world. Today, there are 8,000 stations. It only stands to reason that 8,000 stations are going to detect more seismic events.

Further, our equipment now is more sensitive. Quakes that were undetectable—either because of intensity or distance—now are recorded.
And finally, a major reason for the perceived increase in disasters is modern communications and media.

A hundred years ago, the terrible earthquake in Pakistan might not have been reported until weeks after the fact. By then, it would would simply be a couple of paragraphs in the major newspapers. Most would never note the event.

Today, the disaster is reported immediately, relayed around the world by satellites, and seen live in the living rooms of millions on television. It certainly looks as though things are getting worse, because we are seeing more of them.

It’s all a matter of perception.

now on the other hand....
ZOMBIES??

oh yeah... they're coming....

:gunfight:

Last edited:
If you look at the conspiracy theorists side of it, it would be easy to see why people say that the various governments are controlling different events.

Supposedly, the capabilities to detonate a device causing a forced earthquake is possible. As is tsunamis and such.

Anyone else find it coincidental that Chinese and US forces were in Cuba when the earthquake hit? Rumor has it, they were all meeting there to make a payment to China on the fantastic loan we were given...

There are chemicals that can be dumped into clouds to allow for snow to form and various precipitation to fall. Discovery channel has aired several stories on this in the past...

These are just a few examples.

While I find some of this to be far fetched, someone who believes the government is trying to manipulate everything could easily jump on with these ideas.

While most may not believe stuff like this is even relevant or possible, it certainly is a different approach to conclusions drawn up by someone with a good imagination, or someone with possible inside information.

My .02.

if i could rep you 10 times E i would.

pretty much sums up everything i have been trying to tell people.

the world goes in cycles.
always and forever it will go in cycles.
it freezes then thaws. the magnetic poles will change direction and even shift as the earth moves.

we will have ice ages and we will have extremely hot periods to.
if people would actually pay attention to the history of the world and what minimum records we have for the thousands of years of human existence they would see this.

its natural, and we are just hearing about more of them because as stated above, the media wants us watching.

i think there is a higher than average chance of something large, possibly catastrophic happening in 2012. maybe something involving poles shifting, or solar flares... either of which would have many effects on the planet. society all around the earth seems kinda fragile, who knows what would happen.

oh noooo we gonna be in a FIRESTORM.... lol .. (taken from live free or die hard)

lmao..... i hope not anyway...

We're ALL GOING TO DIE!!!:bye1:

Last edited:
i picked option two.
my first chemistry class in college really opened my eyes to some of the crazy shit that happens on earth on a day to day basis. not to mention that solar flares (as mentioned above) have the same power as ~12093812093810923810 hiroshimas. its crazy to think about.

i heard that the biggest solar flare recorded (which is said to be in the 1800's? sometime i think) caused a bunch of electronics to go crazy. and a bunch of miners in alaska actually went to work at like 3 in the morning because the northern lights were so bright they thought it was daytime. :ph34r:

are we all going to die, no.. are we in for a rough next couple years, i think so..

The magnetic poles will reverse. This is the only 100% of 2012.
wut? you think the poles will switch in 2012? while some scientists say that a pole reversal is underway, it still takes thousands of years for the switch to complete.

Option two.. the mayans stopped their calendar at 2012.. is this the end of the world, no i highly doubt it.. I feel as though when the current ends (2012) another will begin.. basically, its a rebirth for mankind.. and another theory to back this up,, the earthquake of chile actually shifted chile 11 inches as confirmed by gps imaging.. and to add to this about solar flares.. i believe this will happen and when it does scientist predict that the polar caps will reverse magnetic field.. the north will now be south, the south will become north.. when this happens bye-bye to all electronics and satelites.. no bankcards.. no internet.. etc.. so when ppl think the earth will destroy us, i believe we the people will desroy ourselves because we know no other way to live than without the help and use of electronics..

My hope is that my little slice of the Pacific North West remains largely unaffected, more hookers and blow for me!

The Mayan calendar ends at 2012 and just starts over. It's really no different than our calendar ending on Dec. 31; it's just theirs also include a "long count".

The Mayan calendar ends at 2012 and just starts over. It's really no different than our calendar ending on Dec. 31; it's just theirs also include a "long count".

Basically.. thank you!!

Not to mention the oddities like Chicago, etc that never see quakes

There are more quakes in the midwest than most people realize, most of them are just too small to feel. Every now and then you'll get one that, if you're not in your car driving, we'll feel. When they start knocking down buildings then I'll get scared. I want option 4.

Back