is fan suppose to run after vehicle off?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondaflr

just wondering if there is a relay, or timer, that after vehicle running and is hot
and after i turn off car, is the fan suppose to stay on for a bit and keep cooling it down, or once car off fan wont run, and if not, is it possible to set it up so it will do that?

Im planning on doing this becuse i plan to go with a turbo setup, and i would want the turbo to keep cooling after vehicle is off. my fathers grand national does it for about 10 minutes to cool it down, so i want to have my stuff set up before i throw it in

Screwing with the fans is not what you need. You need to not run it hot before you turn it off, or simply let it idle for 30seconds or so before you turn it off after running it. There is a "turbo timer" that you can buy that lets your car run for a minute or 2 (you can set it) after you turn the car "off". That lets the turbo cool down and after the minute is up it turns off. Although I hear it makes the car easier to steal, I don't exactly know how; but read up on it. I don't think they are too too expencive, maybe 100$? Depends who you buy it from, a few manufacturers make them, and I would most definatly buy it from ebay to get it cheap.

Apexi Turbo timer is what apexi calls it, youll have to do some reasearch to figure out the other ones.

Originally posted by buzz1167@Jul 13 2004, 03:54 PM
Screwing with the fans is not what you need. You need to not run it hot before you turn it off, or simply let it idle for 30seconds or so before you turn it off after running it. There is a "turbo timer" that you can buy that lets your car run for a minute or 2 (you can set it) after you turn the car "off". That lets the turbo cool down and after the minute is up it turns off. Although I hear it makes the car easier to steal, I don't exactly know how; but read up on it. I don't think they are too too expencive, maybe 100$? Depends who you buy it from, a few manufacturers make them, and I would most definatly buy it from ebay to get it cheap.

Apexi Turbo timer is what apexi calls it, youll have to do some reasearch to figure out the other ones.

:concur:

Keep it cool while it's running. Use a turbo timer for a turbo car. The Matrix RS 3.5, the alarm I have, has the turbo timer built in. You might save a few bucks towards an alarm purchase if you skip the external turbo timer. :)

Accords will turn on the fans if the motor is still hot. The engine does not need to be running.

when i first had the motor swap i was sure it did that once or twice for me, but since then, it hasent done it, now i can come home from a really good run, and i can feel the heat pumping off the car and yet, the fan does not stay on while the car is off, so i just put the heat on while driving him to cool it down a bit till i get to my house. kinda fun driving with your head out the window. lol. i think ill start doing the 30 seconds cool down as buzz says. alarm is already in the car, so dont plan to change it again. thanks

Originally posted by buzz1167@Jul 13 2004, 01:54 PM

[post=362610]Quoted post[/post]​

They don't always make the car harder to steal. Many timers (like the Blitz Dual Timer that I have) contain a wire that hooks into your parking brake. If a thief puts the e-brake down, the car will shut off. I suppose it's easy to bypass that, but the car normally only stays on another 30-45 seconds, unless you're really flogging it.

those prelude and accord non-vtec motors do that all the time. I had a lude that did that for like a min. or 2. Don't worry about that. I also had a Talon (got rid of it quick) with a turbo timer on it and the things are confusing to people but they definately have a purpose of cooling the turbo down. Greddy makes a sweet one that is a good addition to a S-VAFC. Do your homework with turbo's. I've blown a couple trying.

Rob
Primetimeimports

Back