Is it a bad time to buy real estate?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
i've been thinking about buying a condo/townhouse instead of renting, but i'm getting a little nervous. interest rates are going up, houses are staying on the market longer and longer, and properties are starting to level out or even lose value. what do you guys think?

They're going to continue I believe to go down in our area until near summer. Then the market will harden a touch. But expect property to sit for a while.

A few homes I've built are still sitting and a couple years ago we would have sold them, but with the soft market in our area I'm not too keen on building spec's.

Whatever you do. Buy north of tacoma for real estate. And buy before the interest rates get jacked. My dad's going to be buying another house in the next few months, its just a lot of million dollar homes have come to 800 but he only wants to spend like 700...... so its a pinch.

nothing has dropped here. they've simply leveled off for a while.

really, the only houses that are selling for less, are those sellers who HAVE to move... relocating for a job, etc. Those who are just looking to upgrade but stay in the same general area won't take a loss... they'll just stay there longer.

in the long run, whats 10 or 20 grand over 30 years? its less than what you pay for your cell phone.

buy it now before interest skyrockets.

When you get into a house, remember that even if you break even at the end, when you sell it - You're living somewhere (at that time of sale) FOR FREE. It all comes back to you.

Get a place that doesn't need anything, a place you can live in .. like I said before "Somewhere that only requires you to keep it clean and not burn it to the ground". That's a win-win. Don't worry about size and shit like that.

Also, buying a house is always a win over a condo. Condos require nothing from you in terms of effort - Which is why people get them. But that's also why people buy new Saturns. I'm not one of those types of people

Are you ?

Anyway, I have 48 more hours before my closing date, and I can then do a write up on the process some more - ontop of what I wrote a month ago.

should continue to drop. Make a list of a dozen or so properties that you would want. Watch prices fall. As soon as the new uptrend begins buy before it raises to far

i don't want to buy a headache. my handman status ends at painting and mowing the lawn.

i'm just paranoid about getting into something that either loses money or is hard to sell when i move.

then dont move :) if you can't get what you wan for it, keep it until you do. That's what it comes down to.

you can't loose money if you don't sell it :)

Don't worry about rates and prices. It all balances out. Anytime is a good time to buy a house.

Not any time is a good time to sell a house.

Don't worry about rates and prices. It all balances out. Anytime is a good time to buy a house.

Not any time is a good time to sell a house.

You forgot to add "in the long term"

Buying a house at the peak of a market and knowing you wont be there longer then 5 years is a pretty stupid move IMO. Some of the houses in this area have dropped over 100K in the last 12 months. No doubt they were way over priced to start with, but the point still stands, they're not moving!

do note, I'm talking about 500K houses not 150-200K houses.

i don't want to buy a headache. my handman status ends at painting and mowing the lawn.

i'm just paranoid about getting into something that either loses money or is hard to sell when i move.

Oh geez... and I'm Bob Vila? lol

We've ripped the shit out of my carpet already, handiman just takes time to learn the different systems of the house. Buy, fix, have fun and learn something. We're going to look at my plumbing today. I'm going to learn about it.

just do what i do... find someone to do it for you cheap :)

*this thread was at the bottom of "bad way to leave your estate" thread and I thought I would update, 4 years later. lol

I didn't buy the condo. it was an amazing place to live, but for the price they were being sold at, a lot of sketchy people moved in. Pretty trashy, loud, with kids, etc. The home value had dropped $30,000 since I looked at it. Might not sound like much, but it was listed at $210,000. So almost 15% in just a couple of years. Interest rates tanked, so I would have needed to refinance. The job I was working at while I was there, I quit a month after I started the thread. Plus, I ended up moving closer to work than where this specific condo was.

Hindsight, I got lucky and didn't buy.

Now's a GREAT time to buy...... if a bank will deal with you :)

If you can get a mortgage that costs as much as what you're paying in rent, then do it.

Writing off intrest is a nice tax break.

Back