Is it an axle or a CV Joint or something else.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

when I take sharp turns at low speeds I hear this loud click or thud. It doesn't happen when I am driving straight. It happens when I go over bumps and when I reverse into a parking spot, basically when i go slow enough to hear it. It sounds like something in my suspension, I am guessing an axle or CV boot. How can i check these to see which is bad. And which one do i get for a b20b block?

Thanks
Khai

It's a CV joint.

it's easier to replace the entire half shaft.
not sure which one you need tho.

the same shit happens on my car, i was also told that it is the cv joint :angry:

my car has 120k on it so im just replacing both axles

well what car is the B20b block in? in other words, what axles did you use for your swap?

That is the thing. I didn't put the motor in a friend did and I no longer see him. I am not sure what axles to use. Also I only had this setup in for about 10000 miles tops with brand new remanufactured axles from schucks. they didn't do this at first, but at about 5000 miles it started. Is it possible that the axles are the wrongs size?

Thanks
Khai

Well, if you don't know what axle you need, go ahead and remove it since you need to replace it anyways. Take it with you to Pep Boys or Autozone and try to have them match it. Tell them what type of transmission you're running to start with. Just trial and error.

Also, you don't have the wrong axle or you wouldn't be able to move. The axle should fit nice and tight. That sucker is going to be a bitch to yank out. <_<

Axles are easy as shit to get out as long as you have all the right tools. Just make sure you have a prybar.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Mar 9 2004, 02:33 PM
Axles are easy as shit to get out as long as you have all the right tools. Just make sure you have a prybar.

Right tools? All you need is a socket wrench to remove all the bolts holding the axle up and just pull.

They're not "easy as shit to get out," well at least not for me when I swapped mine out. I had to REALLY PULL to get them out. How/where in the heck are you gonna use a prybar to get it off?

a prybar is very useful when getting axles out because you can put it inbetween the joint and the tranny and just pry it out instead of trying to yank it for hella long. with a prybar they just pop out.

Originally posted by highperboi@Mar 9 2004, 03:41 PM
a prybar is very useful when getting axles out because you can put it inbetween the joint and the tranny and just pry it out instead of trying to yank it for hella long. with a prybar they just pop out.

Hmmm, I guess it depends on the brand of the axle cuz when I did it, the place where u need pry it was bending. :blink:

Originally posted by turbo99+Mar 9 2004, 11:45 AM-->
dohch22a4
@Mar 9 2004, 02:33 PM

Right tools? All you need is a socket wrench to remove all the bolts holding the axle up and just pull.

They're not "easy as shit to get out," well at least not for me when I swapped mine out. I had to REALLY PULL to get them out. How/where in the heck are you gonna use a prybar to get it off?

Yeah, right tools. Like a prybar makes it really easy, plus if your lower ball joint is stubborn, you will neek a picklefork (ball-joint seperator).

Use a real ball joint puller... pickle forks will just tear up the ball joint boot and cause your ball joint to seize up over time.

I prefer to use a BFH to bang the ball joint loose, then a pipe wrench to pull the axle... works every time. Trust me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UMM another question.
Is it possible that the axle is a little short or anything like that. Cuase i only had the axles in for like 5 months or so and they started clicking. If they were wrond would they click right away or would the bearings or something strecth over time. I just want to make sure i buy the right ones and don't have to keep replacing them over and over.

You guys said use 94+ axles, is that for both sides.

someone told me i am using an 94+ integra axle on one side and an 88 axle on the other. Is this a possibility.

Thanks
Khai

had the same thing happen to my old 92 civic. When you cut the wheel and took off made a loud clicking noise, I just replaced both axels. Think they both ran me about $120, worst part bout replacing them for me has always been getting that stupid axel nut off! They are on tight and on tight for a reason.

Back