Is It Bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

Example: You're crusing down the road at a normal speed and you want to shift gears (up or down, doesnt matter) and you push in the clutch, shift into gear and let out the clutch and at the end of you lettin out the cluth your car jerks forward a little bit, not a WHOLE lot, but just enough to where you feel a slight jerking movement, almost like it doesnt want to go into that gear yet. Is this bad for your clutch or transmission?

Also, besides grinding gears, what is the worst thing you can do to hurt your clutch or transmission? I want to have mine last as long as possible. :)

Another thing, (e.g) when turning onto the highway and shifting from neutral or whatever gear, to second, is it better to just let off the clutch and hit the gas or ease the cluth out and apply gas at the same time? I know how to "blip" the RPM's too.
thanks for any replies

Here's my best guesses for you.

1.That feeling you're getting sounds like a warn/broken motor mount.

2.Worst thing is probably glaze the clutch, or put it in the wrong gear at the wrong speed.

3. I give it gas as the clutch grabs also, but then again, I don't know how long a cluth will last me since I've only been driving one for a year now.

I personally think that is is due to letting off the cluth a little to fast when just crusing, not going fast. The car is a 99 so i don't think it would be a worn or broken motor mount. Thanks for the reply though Slammed89Integra

Then yeah, dumping the clutch where it jerks is bad, that means smooth out the release of the clutch. Personally, I can start off a car and shift without giving it gas all day long, its just once it grabs, you need to give it gas otherwise, it will stall or buck.

I just thought you meant it did it when you shifted gears.

Back