Is it called SURGE?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

N/A b18c1

Mysterious
My brothers hatch has a JDM b18c1....as i drove it today, seems like it cuts the fuel and stolls...but when i accelerate it picks up then seems to me cuts the fuel again until i kinda gave it more gas then it ran fine for the whole day... Ill appreciate any help thanks....this happen to me before i gave the motor to him....but it went away til now...whats the problem that would make it do this...?

Okay i hope this helps a little as my brother describes this to me when it happen to him........When he accelerate at the time it occurred, the car bogs until he let off the pedal and accelerate again then it goes.....

My car is having the same damn problem... new plugs and wires didn't do it. It misfires horribly during driving, and has been getting progressively worse. Its like unless the throttle plate is open alot (like so there's 0 vacuum in the manifold, it misfires. The car drives like and on-off switch. Its either studdering, or hauling ass.
I changed the tps. nothing. I changed the plugs and wires... nothing. The cam timing is good too. My problem is its getting a misfire at idle too, so I can't set the timing accurately. I'm going to change the dizzy next... hopefully that does it.

my prelude had the same prob. i chipped the ecu and it went away. i never did figure out what exactly it was.

USDA = United States Department of Agriculture
USDM = United States Domestic Market

:)

But it has been my experience that sometimes the JDM ecu's work well and sometimes they dont. My prelude and one friend's civic (dohc zc) are the only two that ive seen that have had problems after about 9 or so new engines. I dont know what to make of that, i just know what ive seen.

So I'm guessing this is gonna be some horse shit to go through to actually finding the problem...

There is oil in the 1st cylinder that sometimes covers the spark plug....Could that be it...?? If so, what's the best way to get to fix it?? Dont know the actual compression for each cylinder but brother did it when we put it in...was 180-180-180-175...does this sound right?

Is the oil on the tip of the spark plug, or on the top side, where the plug wires connect? 175-185 psi on a 10.6 to 1 motor sucks. I was getting like 215 psi across the board during my compression test.

On tip, but if its driven long enough it'll be on top....so 215 should be the correct compression of each cylinder? which means i need a new head gasket...?

It could be the head gasket, it could be the piston rings, or it could be the valve seals. Most likely its the rings or the head gasket. Does the car burn any oil or coolant? Is there any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant?

as long as the cylinders measure a close to equal compression, you should be ok in that area. Could be your method of measure or tester that is resulting in your below average readings. I would personally be trying a lot of things to troubleshoot your problem. Of course, I have spare parts like a mofo and can swap things out eliminating one thing at a time.

It is unlikely that you have a bad plug or injector. Unless all of them were messed up at the same time, the car would still run (like shit though) and sound like crap if either of those two things were bad. I would scratch that off the list.

Maybe I am hearing this right... the car COMPLETELY cuts out, then resumes normal acceleration when you release then re-apply throttle?

Does sound like TPS, but if you already checked that, check the cap/rotor in the dizzy. If everything looks ok there, ehh.... ECU troubles. Could be intermittent injector circuit (intermittent will likely not throw a cel).

But oil on the plug!!??!! OMG. ur F*&#ED.

Thats what Im guessing.. rings or gasket...no oil or coolant are mixed, no burning.....everything runs fine....the whole entire engine doesnt cut off....still rolls...Its just gets more confusing and more complicanted...

Back