Is it done ?????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90DAteg

JDMadness
I would just like to get some conformation on my motor...

Between 1,000 and 4,000rpm my motor skips and jumps BAD.:mad: I pulled number 3 pluck and nothing hapnd so i took it out and it was covered in oil the same for 2&4. I figure its leaking up from the pistons.

Is it time to do a swap????????????

There is oil inside the spark plugs it cant get threw the threads so i guess its cumn up from the piston

why not try and get a valve cover kit.. there like 40bucks... would save u alot more than going out and buying another motor.. wouldnt it??? always start with the cheapest thing first then work ur way up the ladder...

Yo 90DAteg is there blueish smoke coming out the exhaust??? if yes then u have a problem with eather the piston rings or the valve stem seals...eather way they r both expensive to fix...if no smoke is coming out the exhaust then just get a valve cover kit and that should do it... also u might want to change the spark plugs and wires wile ur at it!!!

Ya it smokes i dont really no what color it is but it does. Im pretty sure its something internal. we own a shop and everyone i know is involved some way or another with cars and we all have thought about it and think the rings are fryed and oil is leaking up around the pistons and rings which fouls out the plugs.

Dude if there is smoke coming out the exhaust.. unless its black in wich case it means the engine is running rich... then mos def there is somothing wrong internally... check the compression, if its off by a lot then u need to take the engine apart, replace piston rings send the head to a machine shop to make sure its in good shape... also u would need all new gaskets and seals!!

Ya i did. My buddy said i didnt give even compression strokes but it was 140 120 140 105 and thats not good. It would be to much to re-build my b18 cuz i would have to bore it cuz there is so much wear on the cylinders and it would cost more that its worth. So i figured b20 would be the best bet.

oh boy... wow.. i dont even know where to begin.... first of all you should be fine with a good hone job... get some stock b16 pistons throw those in there... lil higher compression... replace all bearings and seals... it can be done for under $1500... if u dont know how to do anything then thats a different story....

if ur going to swap ur engine dont get a b20 stick to the b18.. they r much better engines and u could get them at ur local junk yard for about 400-800 bucks depending on year and mileage!!!

Ya but most any motor i get from a yard i will have to re-build anyway. Y do that if i can get a descent b20 and not have to. But i all-ready got my b20 yesterday for 300 and im cleaning it getn it ready to put in.

yeah bro a b20 for 300. unless its just the motor, which you have the tranny from your b18 anyway then that is still a killer deal if there is little or no rebuild. i'm looking at a b20 for $250, just the motor. i'm gonna use my b16 head on it. it'll be a rowdy litte beast. GL on the swap mang

Ya thats the way to go. I plan on thrown on a b16 head to. Its supose to be mad fast... Hopefully i will get the b20 in soon... I will let yall know how it goes.

if its done right then ya its totally worth the money... you cant just throw a b16 head on there and think its gonna run good... theres tons of forums about b20/vtec... check those out.. they pretty much go step by step on what to do.... if buildt right it will tear... my first build was okay.. but then i took my head off to fully build it.. if u do it right the first time u will love it.. i have close to 5500 into mine now.. ill post pics soon... replace all the bearings seals.. arp rod bolts or shotpeen the rods... get the golden eagle vtec converssion kit..

Ya i have read alot and i think in going to try it later on. How far has 5500 got you and what kind of "hp" are you making. Im thinking around 200 will be what im going for nothing crazy tho.

havent dynoed it yet.... havent even got it tuned yet the motor has less than 3500 miles on it... i rarely drive it... and its been done for about 6 months or so... ... but i put my ls head back on and my b16 head is off and its being fully ported with supertech flat vavles.. i just installed my b16 tranny last night... and drove it for about 15 min and my shifter broke... damn ebay shifters.... lol...

Back