Is it Magic? Does it really work?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I just saw this ad on TV for this stuff called Alumaloy and they claim you can weld and fix alluminum with it. Anyone tried this stuff? All you have to do is clean the alluminum and the heat it with a propane torch, then the stuff just flows onto the metal. They even claim that it bridges gaps and is stronger than the original alluminum!! It costs $45 for 1.5lbs. Just seeing what people think.

-Kai

Originally posted by ktanaka@Dec 20 2003, 05:48 PM
I just saw this ad on TV for this stuff called Alumaloy and they claim you can weld and fix alluminum with it. Anyone tried this stuff? All you have to do is clean the alluminum and the heat it with a propane torch, then the stuff just flows onto the metal. They even claim that it bridges gaps and is stronger than the original alluminum!! It costs $45 for 1.5lbs. Just seeing what people think.

-Kai

Unless you're mollecuarly bonding the two pieces of metal, you're only brazing. Welding is the art of bonding two pieces of metal in a way to create one piece of metal. Brazing is the badass brother of soldering- they're stuck together really good, but you still have two pieces of metal (three if you count the bonding agent).

Besides, a propane torch isn't hot enough to weld aluminum, and when welding aluminum, it's such a delicate balance of heat and wire/ stick speed, that you'll NEVER get the proper heat and bonding medium control with some putty and a $12 torch.

very well put loco.....also might I add thereis a reason why tig welders run from 1500 to 3000 dollars if not more.

Back