Is it Possible? Life with No Vices.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I agree with both of you. I think it is part of genetics, but I think you if you really want it bad enough, you can use self-control to stop it. I mean, I'm addicted to cigarettes. It runs in my blood, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in my family is/ or once was a smoker. So what makes it possible for me to just get up one morning and cut back from half to almost a whole pack of cigs a day, down to about one?

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't believe their is any genetic tie to nicotine addiction. Not saying it's not addictive, it clearly is, but it is more of a self-induced addiction. Same for caffeine, which is something I deal with. When I worked nights, I would drink a pot of coffee, literally, at work. Then come home and sleep for 3 or 4 hours, get up and watch my son all day, drinking coffee because I needed to stay awake. I probably drank 18-20 cups in an average 24 hour period. Tried to stop, felt like I was stuck in quicksand all day, groggy, headaches, crabby. Caffeine is nasty stuff. Now I'm down to 2(big) cups in the morning, and sometimes 1 more after work.

The thing about smoking is that it's kind of a learned behavior. If everyone in your family smokes, you see it every day growing up, it's the example that's been set for you, and in turn you pick it up just because. From that point on it becomes addictive, but there is no pre-disposition to it. In my wife's family, everyone smoked or smokes, except her, thank god. Dad, Mom, stepfather, brothers. She of course was the one to get breast cancer at 33, and they've all been healthy, so go figure.

My dad never smoked in front of me until I was like 17. My mom did when I was little. I never saw any of my other family members smoke, it was back before I was born and they quit.

With caffeine, I don't get the typical withdrawl. I've actually had to go home from school or appointments because I get a migraine so absolutely painful, that it makes me nauseous and almost ready to pass out, like if you were completely wasted.

Well, had a few Friday and Saturday nights respectively. Friday was down at school with some fraternity friends for a Christmas in July party and I got drunk, but by no means out of hand.

Saturday was a bar crawl in Belmar. Caught a buzz but I was probably closer to sober than the DD. Not wanting to be a fool in front of a new chick I'm interested in probably helped that too though.

The real evidence was in the morning afters. Sat. morning I felt great after just some water and today I decided to go to the gym even though it wasn't part of my scheduled routine.

Back