Is this a good vitara/eagle rod setup?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95EGCoupeVtec

SOHC VTEC at its best
so i found this on ebay, i know ebay. but i was curious if this is a good setup or not.

Honda Civic Turbo Pistons Forged Rods Rings Si SiR D16:eBay Motors (item 150376934453 end time Oct-10-09 18:19:50 PDT)

its a NIPPON RACING VITARA G16K TURBO PISTONS

EAGLE FORGED 5394 H-BEAM CONNECTING RODS WITH ARP 2000 BOLTS

NPR GAS NITRITE N-51 TREATED PERFORMANCE RINGS.

9310 CASE HARDENED WRIST PINS WITH UPGRADED CLIPS

KING PERFORMANCE ROD BEARINGS

THIS KIT HAS BEEN TESTED TO HOLD 350+ WHP WITH PROPER FUEL AND TUNING.

THESE PISTONS ARE DESIGNED FOR TURBO APPLICATIONS AS THEY WILL SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER YOUR COMPRESSION.

THE COMPRESSION RATIO IS APPROX 8.5:1

THESE PISTONS CAN HOLD 18-20 (psi) TURBO BOOST IN A PROPERLY TUNED ENGINE.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] THESE PISTONS COME WITH AN EXTRA LUBRICATION SLOT ON THE WRIST PIN FOR PIN LUBRICATION THAT IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE LESS EXPENSIVE MADE IN TAWAIN UNITS.

THIS IS DONE TO PREVENT PIN DAMAGE UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE.

[/FONT]I pulled all that info directly off the auction. it seems to be a pretty good setup, but what do u think? this would be going in my z6 and i gotta get my ARP head studs and mls head gasket on, but being all the way built with the bottom end wit this piston kit would be ok?

I would ditch the rod bearings and mic out the correct set of OEM bearings for your engine/crankshaft.

Other than that, it looks okay. There are Vitara setups on H-T in the 600's on stock sleeve D-Series engines.

ok sweet i thought this was a nice combo. so instead of using these king bearings just get some oe ones for my d16z6?

Yes. What you should do is mic the crank and get the clearances perfect, but I'm not sure how much experience you have with building engines. Bearings aren't something you just want to slap in there and walk away from.

lol yeah i've personally NEVER built an engine. i was gonna get someone to do ti for me. what i would like to do is get a spare block and rebuild it correctly and drop my vtec head on it.

It's a good idea to have your first build done by someone else, just to make sure things are done correctly.

lol i have all those videos from evan's tuning saved. they are very good. they actually made me think i could change my own head gasket :TU:

18-20psi max. Oops i run 19 Psi on the daily on my Vitara/Eagle setup. Still no problems though :D

I think its a decent setup, but def go with OEM bearings.

Look up "Speed Factory" they ran a 10-sec D16 with a Vitara Setup using custom FJT Rods and pushed over 600hp then one of the vitara's got destroyed. This is the way I am going to go with my D until I get close to the 400hp mark. They were hitting 10k RPMs and running 30lbs of boost. I posted up a thread of my Y8 build if you are interested and I will be spending all of my time on it over the next few months. Hoping to have it built by next summer.

Last edited:
wow TurboRex, that's pretty sweet. what kind of power are you putting down or do you know?

Well something isnt right with the setup, Im making 240whp at peak boost.

But thats with a stock head/valvetrain. And an 8.1:1 compression which im planning to bump up to 9 sometime soon. Im dropping the Vitarras.

In combination with my ZC block and my triple layer Headgasket, it dropped to 8.1:1. Yea im not happy because i would have expected more Hp with 19psi. Thats why im bumping the compression up to around 9:1. Check into a compression calculator for your setup to get an idea on what you'll really be at in the end. Though for a DD as mine is, such low compression helps the life of the engine, so im not completely upset with it.

Ahh, That is some insane low compression. I have a d16y8 block and using a y8 head but don't know about the head gasket, Probably OEM. Sounds like you have a bad ass DD though. What Pistons are you going to go with, Forged with the Eagle Rods?

havent really decided on pistons yet. Im actually about to drop alot of money into some head work. New valvetrain plus port polish etc. The pistons ill worry about when taxes come back :D

Man, I love being apart of this forum. The sharing of information here has helped me a lot and hopefully we can witness something epic that will get the forum more recognition. I am thinking about some arias for my build with the eagle H-Beams if the guy still has them. I bet the head work will bump up your numbers quit a bit.

Back