Is this electrical???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EdubbsTEG92

Heres the problem. First car runs great has no problems. Then while driving step on gas not to floor it but to accelerate quickly. The tac jumps from like 3 to 7 3 to 7 up and down up and down while car slowly picks up speed. Then after like 65 mph needle slowly jumps up and down only a few hundred rpm but constantly. Then go home shut off car next morning wont start at all. No jump works nothing. Leave it alone, next day car starts right up. Runs with same problems, does not start next day. Then starts again you see pattern. Replaced dist. cap rotor plugs wires. No change. Are these problems related or not . Or whats wrong in general???

The needle is bouncing, but I'm hoping the engine actually isn't doing what the needle says... am I correct? Check the ground to the tach, it'll make that happen if you have a bad ground.

Originally posted by wanderinman@Apr 18 2005, 07:36 PM
The needle is bouncing, but I'm hoping the engine actually isn't doing what the needle says... am I correct? Check the ground to the tach, it'll make that happen if you have a bad ground.
[post=488482]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by wanderinman@Apr 18 2005, 07:36 PM
[post=488482]Quoted post[/post]​
The engine seems fine not jumpy like tach but hesitant to get up and go.

Originally posted by b16efhatch@Apr 18 2005, 09:28 PM
I dont think the tach would keep it from starting. Doesnt a bad igniter do that same thing too?
[post=488513]Quoted post[/post]​
Will check and reply thanks

I just had this problem its your distributor I will put money on it.

[post=489192]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quot
The whole distributor? Mine blew before with no signs of problems and i replaced a few years back. These problems started somewhat recently. Know of any better distributors available?

Check your distributor. Honda distributor seem to break for any reason.I had a problem with the tach bouncing around. I opening up my hood and notice the distributor bolts where loose. Thank god I caught it in time.

I would also check your ground, I had the same problem with my swapped ZC, after 1k miles it started doing the same thing, it was the ground on the thermostat on the motor. Not sure what you have but it would be a good place to start looking. There is a "think its blue" wire coming from the distro to the dash for the tach, you could check it with an ohm meter for good continuity.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Apr 20 2005, 01:46 PM
[post=489192]Quoted post[/post]​

Pay The Man Right on thanks for the help! :D

Originally posted by luis 1@Apr 24 2005, 07:14 PM
Check your distributor. Honda distributor seem to break for any reason.I had a problem with the tach bouncing around. I opening up my hood and notice the distributor bolts where loose. Thank god I caught it in time.
[post=490935]Quoted post[/post]​

Good call runs like new !!

Back