is this true...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kell211

the problem: my car is giving me a cel 3 whenever i get in high rpm's (between 5000 and 5500). so i lowered the boost to 6psi, still threw it. it goes away when i reset the ecu and doesn't come back on until i'm really getting on it. if it were a bad map sensor wouldn't the cel come on all the time and/or not go off when i reset the ecu? i've never had a bad map, what does it do? the only recent things i've done to the car is to insall a iat sensor in the intake pipe, i have no idea if this could be effecting the map?

i called a local mechanic and he told me that i would get a map cel if i was making any boost at all if i wasn't running a check valve or a missing link. this doesn't seem to make sence since i'm not getting the code at low rpm's, even if it's under boost. plus, i've read on here that a stock map sensor should be good for somewhere between 10-11psi. is that only with a check valve?

i'm wondering it this is connected to the boost, the new iat sensor, wastegate, or maybe something to do with the vtec (it kicks in at 5400). any help or direction any one can give me would be really appreciated, cause i have no educated ideas for what is causeing this. and if there is any info i can give to help please ask?

Originally posted by kell211@Oct 8 2003, 07:19 PM
plus, i've read on here that a stock map sensor should be good for somewhere between 10-11psi. is that only with a check valve?

yes.

the map sensor can READ 10.65 psi on obd1/2 cars, give or take elevation, but, it will throw a code after about 2-3 psi is sensed by the ecu. Reading it, and knowing what to do with it are two different things.

you NEED a check valve, a map sensor (afc) hack, or a computer that can actually read boost and know what it is (ie, oem nissan sr20 ecu, or in our case, a standalone like hondata/aem)

what method's are available through the emanage. the profec e-01 will allow me to edit and change settings in the emanage, to the best of my knowledge. what is the best method concidering my current set up?

Back