Is TPS adjustable? - 99 Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RN7676

Is the TPS adjustable and is there a breif explanation of how to do it? .. 99 Civic EX

My buddy just bought one of those OBDII code readers, so we put it on my Civic just for kicks. It starts, idles and runs fine, but we noticed at idle the TPS reads at 11.4%. At full throttle it only reads 92.4%. Also, the ODBII "load" calculation seems way off (probably caused by TPS out of adjustment). It reads a "load" of 24 just idleing. This may explain my poor gas mileage!

Anyways, I checked it out but can't seem to determine how to adjust the TPS by looking at it. The throttle plate, idle set screw, cable, and everything else looks fine .... and it idles fine so I probably don't want to mess with those items. But I beleive the TPS needs some attention!

I've searched the forums and now know how to get the two 'breakoff head' or 'threaded rivit' bolts out of it, but I'm not sure if that's where I need to start. Can I loosen those bolts and rotate it like a cam sensor? Or is there some other method?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!

You need to grind off the OEM fasteners on the TPS and replace with new screws. I believe they are a pretty standard machine thread. With the key in the run position, rotate the TPS so that the middle wire reads .45 volts are closed throttle and 4.5 at WOT.

Back