is wyotech worth the money and time?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

there are a lot of horror stories out there, but depending on where you live the sky is the limit

in my case NTI is just a start. I have worked at my family's body shop ever since i can remember and had to fix and paint every car i have ever had. I live close to mooresville and there is unlimited possiabilties there. I really would like to get into a specality program after graduation (nissan or VW hopefully) so... bottom line is its all about how good you are, where you live and who you know.

Im a student at Nascar Tech (uti) I love it

I took a College day from high school to visit the campus when it had its open house. I have a buddy that went there and he hated it. The rep that came to us and told us about it said we could work on our cars in the shop if there was anytime to do so. Come to find out there was only one day a month or something like that you could work on your car, and you could only do simple things. I might be wrong but thats what I was told

i am the same way, i think wyotech or a uti school would suit you

im not going to try and recruit or pursuade you, its just what i did

and i could care less about the working on my car thing, my family and I have our on shop

not really, NTI looked at my automotive and agricultural grades.
but i think that is BS, if you got the money you can get in

but if you like the automotive field i think its a good idea to go to a school that specializes in automotive. but like some other members have stated, dont expect a great job starting out, you have to get your foot in the door somewhere

yah but wyotech is very trusted and u will find a good job most liky

my wify's lil sis graduated from uti in arizona and specialized in volvo and mercedes they placed her at a delership in oregon as soon as she graduated was makeing great money till she got lazy and moved to utah started working on lawnmowers.......i know several people who have gone to uti nothing bad to say

Well, if you were to work at the BMW plant in SC(like hired directly to BMW), you'd be making great salary along with a new BMW every 2 years(free lease). Kicker; I don't think any automotive technicians work there. Just assemblers, welders, and engineers. Automotive technician is not the only way to work on cars. If it's like 25k a year, that's 2 years of community college along with 2 years at a university(good for a A.S degree in an engineering field).

If this is something you definitely want to do, go for it. It's always good to be educated in the field you want to go in. But, experience is probably just important if not more important. Try to get a apprenticeship or something.

My friend went to a tech school in CT after doing vocational tech during high school

he got out and landed a job at a ford dealership making great money
quit to take a gov't job (town garage)
just goes to show money doesn't make you happy

I've hired 14 guys from apex tech, fired 13, 20 from lincoln tech fired 18, 5 from uti, fired 5, 7 from wyotech, fired 0. do the math.

Well, was it based off of their experience or what they did?

You could know what your doing; be the most knowledgeable person in your city, but still get fired if you're a dick.

i live in the bx and theres a couple of shop but not dealerships
I live in the bx, you can find a dealership here, come on, i've work at most of them. Bronx honda on zerega ave, Toyota on boston rd, toyota on fordham rd, jeep/chrysler on boston rd, nissan on boston rd, Volkswagen on boston rd, Bronx ford on zerega ave. do you really live in the bronx?

Well, was it based off of their experience or what they did?

You could know what your doing; be the most knowledgeable person in your city, but still get fired if you're a dick.

based on many factors, work ethic, puncuality, attention to detail, ability to learn and retain knowledge, interest in becoming a better more efficient tech. I monitor skill level over time, and determine whether your progress is at an acceptable level, or if i need to put you with an experienced tech in order to progress, or see if you better suited in a different department like car prep, accesories install, or car jockey.

WyoTech is ~20k to go. I was interested in it just to up my hobby knowledge but at that price, I'm just going to take a few classes at the local C.C. As far as getting in, the recruiter I talked to hounded me even after I said I wasn't interested anymore. If you have the cash, your in.

I have a freind in Buffalo who works on school buses for around ~$15 with benefits, he got the job through experience and connections. No technical college. For an automotive job outside of r&d or an assembly plant, odds are thats as good as your going to get.

Want to get a real automotive job, get your engineering degree.

with my experience, community college is the best way to go. there you get to work on your own car, get more one on one time with your instructor, most will help you find a job after school, noone can garaunty you a job, cost is a lot less, and in most cases if you decide to get a degree other than an asociates you can transfer to a four year school and most "institutes" you cannot because they are not accredated.

Back