is wyotech worth the money and time?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a friend that went to wyotech for autobody repair and now is an engine mechanic. Go figure? He makes ok money, probably 60-70 area.

This should be the real goal with a degree. Not just turning wrenches. :)

No offense to anyone but a four year degree better get you more than assistant service manager. You are right though.

Here's what you should do:

Find an opportunity in your area to work on cars every day. Occupational automotive work is a far cry from hobby work and you may find you do not enjoy it as much as you thought you would. I finished my undergraduate education in 2005. I was working at a lube center at the time, stayed there for 6 months, then moved to a full service repair garage and did everything. It sucks. You are always under pressure to finish jobs faster, more efficiently, and more accurately, so, inevitably, something is bound to suffer. It is very frustrating.

Who knows, you may love it. If you are going to do it, work at an upscale dealership so you have great training support, make a great flat rate, and get to work on the same stuff every day.

A degree is always best, when you can find a place, and/or opportunity to get it and make it work for you. Far be it for me to knock anyone trying to better themselves. In my case I've been fortunate, I dropped out of high school in 10th grade, got my G.E.D., worked for consstruction companies, and telecommunications companies, but the one constant in my life has been cars, I've been turning wrenches since I was 8 years old, so when I got tired of being laid off, I turned to cars for my next profession. I've been in this business about 12 yrs now, and I keep trying to advance as far as I can get, for me being someone with a g.e.d. make 100k a year without a degree is a beautiful thing. So if you feel you need that degree then go for it. But there is the other side were I've seen my friends spend thousands to get their degree, all that extra time in school, wind up working in places like home depot, department stores, or or in a low level position for some company, and they feel like they wasted time and money. the only thing I tell them is keep trying. sorry if this is so long, just trying to make a point.

No offense to anyone but a four year degree better get you more than assistant service manager. You are right though.

Here's what you should do:

Find an opportunity in your area to work on cars every day. Occupational automotive work is a far cry from hobby work and you may find you do not enjoy it as much as you thought you would. I finished my undergraduate education in 2005. I was working at a lube center at the time, stayed there for 6 months, then moved to a full service repair garage and did everything. It sucks. You are always under pressure to finish jobs faster, more efficiently, and more accurately, so, inevitably, something is bound to suffer. It is very frustrating.

Who knows, you may love it. If you are going to do it, work at an upscale dealership so you have great training support, make a great flat rate, and get to work on the same stuff every day.

I have to agree with you, I get alot of young guys that at first have dreams and aspirations of becoming techs, and once they realize that this is something in which deadlines need to be met, and certain levels of expections are required, and have to sacrifice some of their free time to complete work, and training. they find that it was not what they expected.

shit...$25,000 for tech school...and you end up with a job that only pays about $10 an hour....$16 if your good at it.. F that.

F car job's...there's no money in it. Well, there is, but you have to use your connections and hook-ups to get anywhere or have some brains and get out of it while you can or advance to manager positions when you can. Paint/body work guys normally die before they ever have a chance to retire...meager pay, and dead before your old enough to enjoy it.

everyone here knows where this is going....

like I've posted it hundreds of times....

step up the game, and get into aviation. Harder work, the loans will be about the same or higher, but the payoff in the end will give better rewards for the time in school and money spent to get thru it.

Here's two case's.

Me:

I have aviation back ground from the Air Farts, I want a degree, and I end up shelling out major cash to get it. Went to ERAU, still have $24,000 in student loans, that 9 years later, are still $24,000....repaying student loans is stupid, and I'm still living from paycheck to paycheck....but after getting a job at Sikorsky Aircraft, and working here for 7 years to this exact date, I'm pulling in the big money when I work as many hours as offered, and this week I'll be passing the $78K's mark for the year, and I still have 4.5 months to hit past the $100K's mark.... but busting ass for years, have a shit load of cars, parts, wheels, house, garage, and projects...you can say I'm at a decent point in life to actually still play around if I want to. But the student loans are a killer. I pay $231 a month, and the principal only gets knocked down $150....and that just this month...that I finally got most of the interest down to where the actual amount of the loan has been reached...9 years later.....which = out to $25,000 that I just paid to borrow $24,000, and I still have about $24,000 to pay plus about another $10,000 if I just do minimum payment.....are you starting to get the point?

Tom:
This kid Tom got a job, at the same company, no school, making about $8 less an hour than I make. Instantly gets medical beni's, and blah blah blah...and the company offers free college...100% paid, plus time off from work to study, which = to 3 free hours a week for each class he takes...and gets paid for it, plus when he gets his degree, he will receive $5000 in company stocks. Plus he's the same shift, 3rd shift, and gets another 14% more in the paycheck. In other words, he works 6.5 hours and gets paid for 8 hours. He's already looking at a Factory 5 GTM for his next car project this next spring...google it.

But getting into Sikorsky is hard for some, easy for others. I was begged to work there. All my buddies have applied, and so far 3 have got the job, one left the face of the earth 3 years ago. And right now a few of my buddies are trying hard to get a job there, but they still haven't been noticed.

Your young, you have a lot more options than most of us had when we were kids, and only you can decide on which path you want to go. Cars should stay a hobby, and work should be work.

Tech schools ARE good , State schools ARE good, but they are all mostly text book knowlege, first hand experiance is priceless. Colleges, Universities with Auto programs ARE great , specially if you think you might go into bussiness for yourself later.

Back