1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your Hasport shift linkage as loose as a 2 dollar whore? Hymen Restoration.

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by phyregod, Jan 22, 2010.

1. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

The shifter in the CRX was sloppy, and getting worse.. I mean, I could move it 4+ inches left and right while it was in gear.. So I replaced some stuff..

I replaced the shifter bushings, R&R'd all of the shifter guts, and have an aftermarket shifter with a hard bearing in the bottom.. no play there.. So the last thing I checked was the linkage.. Bingo.. Tons of slop on the transmission side of the shifter linkage. I could literally move it around 1/2 inch in all directions, which translates to 4+ inches of slop at the knob. It was the last thing I checked because hey, its Hasport, right? Good stuff!

Called Hasport.. They said "We have a kit for that" Asked for my shipping address and mailed one out, free of charge.

Kit arrived: A bolt and two plastic bushings.. (phone pics suck)
    [​IMG]

Taken apart:
    [​IMG]

After taking apart my linkage, I found a much different setup with rubber bushings inside that had failed:
    [​IMG]

And if you want a readable set of instructions, check the fourth image link at the bottom.

Anyway, Did the procedure.. It was straight forward, kind of a bitch to hammer their pin out, but it came out.. Then their bolt was 1/8 inch too short.. But luckily I had one on hand that was the right size and length.

Put it all in, and presto chango.. Shifter is now tight like a... Good shifter should be. :ph34r::D

Crappy that I had to do it, but A+ to Hasport for standing behind their products and not giving me any shit about it.

Attached Files:

2. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

it's kind of funny that they got so many calls and complaints that they made a kit to fix it, I'm waiting till they come out with like a stage 2, where it doesn't move even 1/32 of an inch because soon people will be saying that the kit you've got will move to much. but congrats on the fix!

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

The kit took the play out of the linkage.. The new bushings had to be pounded into the linkage with a mallet, so there is no play there. The only play is the bushing to bolt, which is much less than 1/32. Probably 1/100. The only way to take more play out is to press in metal bearings, and then press a pin through them. They can't get rid of 100% of the slop with the setup they are currently using.

So, hasport, lets see some bearing action! *hint* *hint*

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

word... even ralli///art has shifter and linkage bearings for their cable shifters and for dirt cheap.

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Wow. I like it! Now do they sell that separately? I would think they would have to... gotta recoup some cost. Then again, it's probably two off-the-shelf bushings and a bolt.

6. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

I'm sure its "off the shelf" stuff, they probably purchase the pieces in bulk, costing them 30 cents a kit or something. Its nothing overly fancy. Not a stainless or grade 8 bolt (or even metric for that matter) and the plastic isn't derlin or anything nice, just hard plastic.. Probably nylon.

1 person likes this.
  7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Nylon would be good enough to hold up there- it's not like that pin area is under major stress all the time... only a few pounds' force when it's time to shift.

8. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

9. 97hatch

97hatch ?

nope i fixed mine 4 years ago with bronze when i worked at a place with a machine shop inside and was allowed to use the lathe

10. Jared759

Jared759 Well-Known Member VIP

I think I might make me a set of bushings like those. We two milling machines and a lathe in the shop in the backyard. Lol

11. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

my stock linkage was loose as obamas mom... had to make my new parts with a bench grinder! turned out nice tho. :D

12. EG93sir

EG93sir Racer X 904

Perfect timing on this thread,Im having the same issue with mine,new it lasted about a year with very spirited driving,now its sloppy enough to cause a grind and miss shift,Hasport here I come!

13. egb19c

egb19c New Member

Just came across this trying to find out what is up with my friends hasport linkage. looks like Hasport came out with a newer or 'stage 2' linkage with the nylon bushings instead of the old rubber ones for the EF/ CRX chassis

http://www.hamotorsports.com/crxefblink.html

14. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:thumbsup: thanks for the heads up

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted