Issue: Error Code 7 / TPS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wougoose

Hello,

I've got an 88 CRX with a jdm b16a. I've had the car for about 6 months and everything has been fine up until lately. My tach is acting up quite a bit. Every time I push in on the gas to accelerate, the tach will go nuts. Once I let up on the gas the needle stops going nuts and goes back to normal. When trying to really accelerate by pushing in all the way on the gas, the car will sputter a lot like its all the sudden in gimp mode. My ECU is giving an error code 7, which has something to do with my TPS. Any suggestions on what to do to figure out what the problem is? This used to be happening in random occurences, but lately it has been happening more often. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time makes me wonder if it is a wiring issue?

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If you have a multimeter I would say check your wiring for opens or shorts. If the ECU is telling you that it's a TPS sensor that's bad, why not start there though, nab a TPS off a boneyard motor and try that.

:Werd:

if the ecu says the TPS is shot then thats where i would start looking
in the helms they give you step by step instructions to test the TPS voltages at closed and open and in between
check that out first
your TPS may very well be bad

honda will sell you a whole throttle body for somewhere in the range of 400 bucks so i suggest getting it somewhere else
i think i read somewhere about the honda motorcycles having a TPS that was the same as the car ones, but they sold them seperate from the throttle body

Back