1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

issues in the rain?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by DA16killer, May 12, 2010.

1. DA16killer

DA16killer New Member

i was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced issues with their B series running like shit in the rain. i have this junk intake from the kid i bought my car from still on my car and i think it might have something to do with making my idle and low end power horrible in the rain. maybe a vaccum line problem? just lookin for some feedback thanx.

2. civichatch1988

civichatch1988 Ef hatch

Is it a true cold air intake that goes down to the bumper or anything?

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

check your electricals. put some electrical grease on your plug ends, and at the distributor where the wires plug in. also the coil.

4. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

i agree... sounds like an electrical problem. probably a bad connection somewhere that gets moisture in it easily.

5. TurboMirage

6. DA16killer

DA16killer New Member

no its some shit short ram hot air intake lol i had a CEL pop up today randomly as well so im gettin my codes checked 2nite. im thinking im gonna replace my whole ignition (distr. cap, rotor plugs wires) n see what happens. ill aslo see what my tech says at the tuner shop. maybe im just missing something stupid?

7. DA16killer

DA16killer New Member

wiring could also be an issue too. maybe the genius that did the swap in the car before i bought it did some home made electrical work.

8. TurboMirage

get the CEL checked before you go spending money.

9. lostsoulzprophet

lostsoulzprophet delslow

ok i know if i hit a puddle in the rain the water will get up to the short ram intake and it will not drive for shit for a minute then go back to normal. thats probably what ur experiencing

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I doubt that; my brother had the exact same problem with a stock intake(D15B7 replacing D15B8). His actually ran OK in rain until I hit a huge puddle while driving it(under-body splash guards are gone). The motor did not hydro-lock. There was no immediate effect but what it did was maybe like 5-10mins later the engine would just feel very weak(like it wasn't getting fuel) and idle would drop very low, would go back to normal, then do it again; I think only twice did the engine die(you'd have to wait a couple minutes until you could start it back up). When the weather would dry up, the car would run fine. This went on for about 3-5weeks.

Found out, it was the O2 wires; when putting in the D15B7 we had to switch from 1-wire to 4-wire O2 sensor, and the connections were exposed. Waited for a warm dry day and just covered everything with dielectric grease+electrical tape. I also opened up the distributor to make sure it was dry. No issues after that.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  11. DA16killer

DA16killer New Member

damn thats my exact situation lol my car did the same thing. thanks for the post im gonna do that asap.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted