it has begun....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

They do get stuck though. And if you were to accidentally cut yourself on it with their blood on it, game over.

Aluminum baseball bat if you want to melee. They dont get stuck but do a lot of damage.

someone hasn't watched resident evil. ~ PHD, Movie Academy, Zombies and Shit ^_^
Got it - did watch Dawn of the Dead - guess it'll be all about me protecting my pooches too. And here I was hoping to be able to use "Casey the Terminator" on the pesky bastards!

Last edited:
if you're all going to calesta's, i'm going the opposite way.

The further you are away from civilization, the lest chances of running into towns-turned-zombies.

Aluminum baseball bat if you want to melee. They dont get stuck but do a lot of damage.

Check out a War hammer. They can be made with some simple tools, and are very effective at advance deterrent. But a good quarter staff (My no-nonsense hand weapon) can actually be more effective at dismembering than a sword. Ever cut into meat with a sword ? It's not easy. With talent, a Kukri is capable, and the Chinese warsword / Cutlass is easy. But those are really tough to sheath.

Best to have big guns & big dogs.

Big dogs require big meals. And in combat (Attacks) I would much rather taken on a dog than a human with even some combat experience.

Take about 18 inches of a 1" hardwood dowel, with a tightly fitting piece of 1" ID galvanized pipe press-fit onto the end, drive a nail into the end of the wood to secure the pipe: presto. Excellent close-range crowd-control device.

Small dogs are better for a perimeter alarm. They're easier to feed, faster moving, and require less care and feeding. It's a better defensive position to have two or three small terriers than a big dog.

Battery-powered PIR alarms make good perimeter security alarms. Harbor freight sells them for about $15, they're battery powered, have great wireless range, and the batteries last for over a year (I use one instead of a doorbell.)

Maybe someone should make a thread in NWS for all of this zombie prep?

They do get stuck though. And if you were to accidentally cut yourself on it with their blood on it, game over.

True. Just learn how to swing properly. ;)

I read a lot. :shrug2:

:D

if you're all going to calesta's, i'm going the opposite way.

The further you are away from civilization, the lest chances of running into towns-turned-zombies.

Yay! My walls are safe! :D :D :D

Maybe someone should make a thread in NWS for all of this zombie prep?

Thought that there had been a few already?

......Big dogs require big meals. And in combat (Attacks) I would much rather take(n?) on a dog than a human with even some combat experience.

Big dogs, for their weight really eat less than most smaller dogs, I attribute this to activity level. Many Arm Chair tacticians make such claims about winning against a dog or overpowering a dog. Dogs in military service and law enforcement win, many times overwhelmingly, against very capable and very real foes, every day. I'll stay with big dogs & big guns. I'm talking trained big bad dogs :evil: - not untrained family pets.

.......Small dogs are better for a perimeter alarm. They're easier to feed, faster moving, and require less care and feeding. It's a better defensive position to have two or three small terriers than a big dog......ie prep?
Alarm dogs do have their place in a defensive posture. I agree that small dogs are effective as alarm dogs, I can't say they are any better than the larger breeds in that capacity - other than as you stated, they require less food per day. I actually have both, 2 small dogs and one big dog. The 140lb dog eats the same ration per day that that two smaller dogs eat (110 lbs combined weight).

Now, when it comes to engaging the enemy, the larger dogs have it hands down. I subscribe to the adage - the best defense is a good offense - if you want peace, prepare for war. ;)

I'll probably hide under the covers tonight - what a hideous story - I saw it on CNN and didn't read it. I read the link "B" posted. Ugghh!!!

Last edited:
I've engaged 2 80ish lbs pitbulls, and a trained german shepard. The shepard did some damage - actually resulted in a flap of skin. But at age 15 I still managed to put him down and sit it out. The pits were a bit easier, but you have to lift them a bit to get their bodies to submit. Those things start tossing like an aligator too.

I've engaged 2 80ish lbs pitbulls, and a trained german shepard. The shepard did some damage - actually resulted in a flap of skin. But at age 15 I still managed to put him down and sit it out. The pits were a bit easier, but you have to lift them a bit to get their bodies to submit. Those things start tossing like an aligator too.
Damm - glad it wasn't any worse.

Here's Casey, just north of 140lbs - if he ever gets overpowered by a Zombie I'll send you a PM requesting emergency backup - bring big weapons! ;)

Casey%20Biting%20Mike1.jpg

Back