1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

it this not recomended?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by CRseX84, Nov 7, 2003.

1. CRseX84

CRseX84 Senior Member

hey guys is it not that good of an idea to get all crower gear (valve springs, retainers, and cams. and then use skunk2 valves?? all stage 2 stuff. are all stages rated the same? like will skunk2's stage 2 be stronger or weaker then crower's stage 2??

2. MaliWho97

MaliWho97 Senior Member

Anything is better than stock. Crower stuff is good, skunk2 is awesome stuff..... Go to www.honda-performance.com and check out some of their valve train stuff...... I've been looking into some of their stuff.

3. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Skunk2 is not the best but it's pretty good EXCEPT their Valves. Their valves are actually made by someone else just with the skunk2 name. They are a peice of shit. They have been known to bend, snap, and mushroom real quick.

There are other problems with skunk2 stuff. There Cam gears are degreed wrong, their sway bar is designed like crap (cause subframe tear out very quickly) and there coilovers are questionable. Everyone complains of the way too high spring rate (not really a bad thing but sucks for a daily driver)

Good link about valves

4. ek9r

ek9r Senior Member

dont use skunk 2 valves, use manley stainless. skunk valves mushroom after a while, like stated in your other post. as for valve springs and retainers, use portflow. the portflow are alot better for the fact that it would take alot more to make them bind than a stage 2 camshaft. portflow is also gonna be cheaper than crower in most cases. say that one day u decide to install stage 3 cams, you wont have to replace your springs and retainers again if you use the portflow gear.
    im running jun stage 3 cams with portflow inners, and itr intake outers. portflow is the best setup for the money IMO, hands down.

5. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I am not sure about swearing off of Skunk2. There seems to be all of 2 people that are complaining about them but I don't see a single 1st hand report in that thread. I haven't had mine long but they are running well and have been for the last year (~10,000 miles now).

6. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

all the high end brands are going to be good. Toda, portflow, Manley. Skunk2 isn't like putting APC valves in your car, and as usual, lots of things are just blown up rumors about one person who had their valves mushroom. If you are concerned, and will be running very high RPMS and or very high lift, just go with the manley, portflow, or crower and have peace of mind I guess.

7. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I can believe that. I am running 2001 ITR cams with an 8200 RPM fuel cut. I would expect these to handle any skunk2 cam but I don't have any experience there yet.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted