itbs on the cheap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
just finished reading an article in honda tuning. they build some itbs on the cheap with a set of suzuki gsxr tbs and some custom fab. i added it up and it should cost between 400 and 500. and it added about 20hp to a 6th gen ex before a real tuning with hondata or uberdata. but what do you guys think.

Sure- as long as you can tune it. There are tons of people all over Honda-Tech making their own ITBs. Just make sure you don't go too big on the TB size.

use CBR throttle bodies... That way you dont' have to mess with the TPS... Also I think it should cost you more in the 200-300 range. You can get cbr throttle bodies for like 100-150 bux and you can buy the flanges for like 60 bucks on honda tech...

i picked up a set of CBR954 itb's for $100.
i also picked up a set of velocity stacks for $40
and the extra manifold set me back $80

so far that's $220...i figure it'll cost me about another $100-200 to get it running.

by mid-march i will tell you if it was worth it or not.

and incase you're wondering why i got it, it's because i'm going to be tracking my car and i figured it would be an inexpensive experiment/modification. i don't think anyone has put a homemade itb setup up to the test at the track(road racing, not drag).

$500?

i thought id be arount $100 for what im going for. i just need a TPS right now. i got gsxr1000 itb's for $62 from a guy on gixxer forum. im going to be using couplers(cut the intake mani) instead of a "full fab" system.

they dont impress me.

tbone picked up like 3 hp up top and 5-ish in the midrange, but lost a shit load of low end.

for all the cost, time, and crap drivability they give, i would say don't bother.

mind you, this is on a 240whp 2.1L b-series.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 5 2005, 04:30 PM
they dont impress me.

tbone picked up like 3 hp up top and 5-ish in the midrange, but lost a shit load of low end.

for all the cost, time, and crap drivability they give, i would say don't bother.

mind you, this is on a 240whp 2.1L b-series.
[post=441652]Quoted post[/post]​

pissed, was that directed at me?

i'm looking for the throttle response it provides, i haven't even considered the horsepower it may/may not give me.
remember this is not going on my daily driver, i would never put a hack job mod like that on my S. it's going on my project/track car.

wasn't directed at anyone :p just a general statement.

my buddy tom went from a full skunk2 stage 3, buddy club 3's, m24's, and moved on to the itb's...

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1001405

dyno graph on page 2

blue line = pre itb

red/green after

and he pretty much gave up after that. never really fully tuned it.. is thinking about going turbo now :p

i remember reading that post before. he was using the jenvey setup. i think i even pm'ed him about the setup.

wow!
the difference is seen between 6800-8500 rpms.

jusy getting them to run right isn't worth it to me.

you NEED a standalone.

you have to FIND a place for vacuum- all your brakes, fpr, and so forth

tuning them is beyond a bitch

hello and welcome to 10mpg

Back