itr cams in b20z vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

j954drgsr

Just wondering if anyone out there have stuck a pair of itr cams in a b20z vtec, gsr head and stock internals before or heard of it done. A guy told me before that he had done it and ran with out issue. Lots of people told me itr cams is too big for my stock z piston but they never done it before. So if any one out there have this mod, please give me info. 95 4 dr gsr with b20z gsr head, intake, header, open cat and fpr. 14.5@97.55 mph and thats cheap street tires and a slow shifter.

Im pretty sure theyll run without issue but in order to make good use of the type r cams youll have to revv over 7000, over 7000 IMO is too much for B20 bottomend,

You're gonna smash the valves into the pistons (too much lift). You'd better get bigger reliefs cut into the pistons or get aftermarket rods/pistons.

You should probably read Honda Tuning or research their 13 sec 4 door challenge. They did the same build but get this they didnt use ITR Cams... they used GSR and still smashed the Valves into the piston.

Originally posted by THEUSED@Dec 1 2004, 05:10 PM
Im pretty sure theyll run without issue but in order to make good use of the type r cams youll have to revv over 7000, over 7000 IMO is too much for B20 bottomend,
[post=424682]Quoted post[/post]​

Not if he gets stronger Rod Bolts (ARP) and a better Oil/Water Pump (ITR/GSR/B16).

i tried looking for the 4 dr 14.0 sec challenge and ended up with nothing. any help please.

with proper valve adjustments it can be done but isnt recommended on stock bottem end b20- but then again what would it matter what cams u had u just adjusted out the advantage of having itr cams! if you see the point ( i would stick with what you have until you have money to do every thing properly )

Originally posted by THEUSED@Dec 1 2004, 02:10 PM
[post=424682]Quoted post[/post]​

Well this is not neccesarily true, the type R cams make great mid-range power and this is what you'll want on a b20 vtec setup. Your issue issue here is valve clearance more than anything else. Personally I believe that it will be fine, as long as you leave the cam gears alone and keep a rev limit of under 7800. I say this based on a friends similar setup, gsr head, b20z, bottom end. BUT What I would recommend for you to do is to pull the head off, have the pistons knotched, throw some arp head bolts in there, and a set of type R valvetrain. Then rev upwards to 8500 without worry. Personally, I have a b20b, type R head, type R cams, knotched pistons and i forget what the cam gears are at, and rev to 8250. I have had no problems for about a year now.

Back