Itr Flywheel, Isi It Worth It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
is the itr flywheel worth the extra $50 over the b16a flywheel when i do my b18b swap? just wondering.

yes, itr fly is 15lbs b16 fly is 21-22lbs (can't remember which)

I'm pretty sure flywheel only changes response/revving. But if you meant that it affects how the hp is used, you're correct. But they dont add hp as far as I knew. Just like lighter wheels.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Mar 26 2003, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure flywheel only changes response/revving. But if you meant that it affects how the hp is used, you're correct. But they dont add hp as far as I knew. Just like lighter wheels.

true, it only "free's" lost hp

Originally posted by B16@Mar 26 2003, 06:25 PM
yes, itr fly is 15lbs b16 fly is 21-22lbs (can't remember which)

i thought the ITR flywheel was 11lbs? maybe im wrong :blink:

it depends on the year of the ITR Swap.

and going with a lighter flywheel is not always good. otherwise we would all be running 9lb toda/spoon flywheels.

i believe in 96 JDM itr's had 12-13lb flywheels.

as far as the rest, they are like 15-16lbs.

B16a flywheels are around 18lbs...but can be resurfaced and lightened safely to 14lbs...

i'd resurface what you have and shed just a few lbs from it...nothing drastic...

you'll loose too much torque...which isn't a great compromise even if you gain more top end.

ACTUALLY by reducing rotating mass you will make more hp to the wheels example: dyno a car with 17" heavy wheels, then dyno with 13"vx lightweight wheels. i have personally seen a 9hp difference from just the weight of the wheels. anyways i always recommend a lightened fly wheel, you will sacrifice a little torque but gain rev response as well as hp.

in some cases i would agree depending on your weight of the vehicle however keep in mind that to a certain point especially for a street car to much torque will only hurt you(traction problems) hondas as far as drag racing goes make most of their gain in the second half of the 1/4 mile. this is long after hp has taken over. but if your car is heavy then yes more torque is a good i dea.

Back