ITR swap in 91 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16SiHatch

So i've scoured ht and hondaswap as well, and just plain searched through google as well but i can't seem to find any kind of writeup or parts required list to do a b18c5 swap into an EF. Heres what i came up with just off the top of my head.

-b18c5 engine/tranny/ecu
-rywire harness
-b-series mount kit with side mount for hydro tranny, (hasport EFB2 kit i think)
-hydro to cable clutch conversion (not sure where to get)
-axles (i think i need 90 DA axles, really not sure)
-shift linkage
-make dent on left-hand frame rail for alt. pully clearance (i know this was true for an ls swap so im thinking its the same for this as well)

hmm that seems to be all i can think of at the moment

ooh and i was wondering what i have to do for the speedometer. since its a cable speedo in the EF and i cant help but imagine its a electronic speed in the s80 itr tranny.

so if anyone would like to add to this, clarify, or correct something it'd be greatly appreciated. or if you have a link to someone who has done this with a writeup or whatnot i could really use that too lol. thanks

its sounds like itd be the same as an ls,,just a straight forward bseries into ef swap...and for axles,you will need da axles and intermediate shaft,,,for the hydro/cable conversion im pretty sure hasport has what you need...

what every tranny u go with get those axels... the ls axels will probable snap after awhile from the tq. of the type r..

^^wrong the axles need to fit the hubs of the civic-meaning he needs the 90-93 axles..and the type-r has abs so the axles wouldnt fit...
also the axles will not snap...enough of the false info

LIES!!!some1 on teamintegra has a 250+ turbo integra and he has stock axles...

but before you said that the TORQUE of the type-r would snap the axles,,now your saying the HP will snap the axles..so my question is???what will snap the axles???

the only way his stock axles will snap is if he is using slicks(which have waaay more bite than street tires) or if he launches on his axles waay to hard(which probably wont happen)

so false info...YES

okay my buddy had a stock ls/vtec with brand new axles.. and he was at the track and right as he launched the axle snapped... seen it done before... so ya its possible... oh well it doesnt matter ...... sorry i dont go into big enough detail like u did...

Just get a cable b series tranny and as for the speedometer then you can change the electronic vss to a cable vss. I would go to raxles for some axles for that application. Ask for Marty and tell him Bryan in Alaska told you to call.

Raxles - Raxles Home

what every tranny u go with get those axels... the ls axels will probable snap after awhile from the tq. of the type r..

false info???? uh okay... stock integra axels usualy break after 200hp....

The Type R doesn't even make that much more torque than an LS, and it doesn't make over 200 horses either. I'm not saying the story about your buddy's axles breaking is wrong or false, just clarifying some info on the motor itself.

Just get a cable b series tranny and as for the speedometer then you can change the electronic vss to a cable vss. I would go to raxles for some axles for that application. Ask for Marty and tell him Bryan in Alaska told you to call.

Raxles - Raxles Home

Meh...I'd probably get a cable-to-hydro converter and use the hydro Type R tranny. The tranny is part of the "Type R Package". It has B16 gearing, a better final drive, and an LSD...can't ask for much more than that...

My axles have snapped beofore on my ls swap in my car. if i take it to the track and really take off hard at the line, im gettin new axles. yes they are integra axles

Meh...I'd probably get a cable-to-hydro converter and use the hydro Type R tranny. The tranny is part of the "Type R Package". It has B16 gearing, a better final drive, and an LSD...can't ask for much more than that...

and a stronger differential

woo! look at all this. a lot more replies then i thought i'd see lol.

uhm well lets see. First off, about the axles its really no big deal. Autozone has lifetime replacement on axles so if they do happen to break ill just take them back and get new ones for free:D

Also i do have every intention of sticking with the type R transmission. why swap to a cable tranny which is most likely going to have lots of miles on it, no lsd, not as nice gearing, and gears that grind!

One thing though i still am wondering about. I was told to put a manual vss guts into the type r tranny that way i can use my speedo cable. Now that being said i still dont know what manual vss i can use in the R tranny. i'm gonna take a wild guess and assume i cant take it out of my d series si tranny and put it in the type R. sooo does that mean i need to get one from an older cable b series trans?

I dont think the d series vss will work but a b series vss should work. Please someone correct me if I am wrong as I hate to give false information.

i dont think the d series vss will work either

edit!!i jus did some research and you can swap the cable vss into the hydro tranny and it will work fine,,but the d series i dont think will work

Last edited:
or you could find a YS1 LSD tranny from the Integra X-Si.. have the LSD and gearing of the USDM Type R

any bseries cable tranny will work...itd be easier just to get it from a 90 integra

i do not think the vss from a sohc will work,but you could always try

or you could find a YS1 LSD tranny from the Integra X-Si.. have the LSD and gearing of the USDM Type R
i know one guy who has that trans.. he bout a b16 swap with what he thught was a ls trans for 500 bucks. the guy he bought it off of called a weel later and said he give him 500 for that trans..he said no..:ph34r:

Back