its not the bike its the rider

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's great. Being a scooter pilot, I can tell you that 1) he's lucky he didn't break his ankle, 2) he would have been able to turn tighter and not be so squirrly if he kept his feet where they should be and leaned forward more*, and 3) the sparks are Hollywood... it takes WAY more lean angle than that to get the stand to scrape on those things.

*Scooters are plagued with 60- 75% of their weight in the back due to driveline design and tank location. On a bike, weight over the front wheel will pretty much dictate how hard you can corner. On a scooter, it's critical that you get as much of your body weight forward as you can.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Dec 24 2003, 06:28 PM
he would have been able to turn tighter and not be so squirrly if he kept his feet where they should be and leaned forward more

Seriously... what a tard! Can you imagine seeing someone on a street bike stick their feet out like that?!

Originally posted by SasSi@Dec 24 2003, 07:27 PM

Seriously... what a tard! Can you imagine seeing someone on a street bike stick their feet out like that?!

I've seen it a few time, and it usually results in a spill. Then again, the reason for doing it, in part, is to sense the lean angle of the bike, so there is a reason. HOWEVER, if he were in the proper riding positing, he could use his knee like he would on a sportbike. I know this because I've dragged knees on scooters in full leathers going past a group of sportbikers hanging out on the inside of a turn. Boo yah!

scootburn.jpg

scootwheelie.jpg

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Dec 24 2003, 10:07 PM
I know this because I've dragged knees on scooters in full leathers going past a group of sportbikers hanging out on the inside of a turn. Boo yah!

i know that turn :D :D :D

<--- looking forward to hitting that road again :)

I've been wanting a scooter for a while....what are the names of em? I know yama makes one, the older ones, ya know, the ones you can pick up for a few bucks now a days.......hook me up with some names of good scooters, I don't like the way they look now days, I like the older ones like in loco honkey's pics....and the movie for that matter.

PS that vid looks like its from a movie, whats the name of the movie if anyone knows??

Originally posted by djyox@Dec 25 2003, 03:16 AM
I've been wanting a scooter for a while....what are the names of em? I know yama makes one, the older ones, ya know, the ones you can pick up for a few bucks now a days.......hook me up with some names of good scooters, I don't like the way they look now days, I like the older ones like in loco honkey's pics....and the movie for that matter.

Pretty much any scooter (except Honda scooters) made after 1990 has the same power unit made by Minarelli. The great thing about this is that parts are a dime a dozen.

If you're going for a comfortable "sport tourer," I'd try to find a liquid cooled scoot like an Aprilia SR50. They're good for about 45 MPH, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, 130/60- 13 tires, hollow spoke wheels, and great chassis dynamics, 4.5 HP and around 200 lbs. wet. A friend has one and I've had it up over 100 MPH and is the scoot I've dragged a knee on. His, of course, is not stock.

If you want a balls out, no- compromise scoot, find an early '90's air cooled Yamaha. I have a '92 Yamaha Jog. Same HP as the Aprilia, but it only weighs 138 lbs. wet. From a 5 MPH roll, it'll lift the front wheel about a foot off the ground, and keep it there 'till about 30 MPH. Since, I've stripped all the plastic bullshit off and she's down to about 110 lbs. Next plan is Sneaky Peet. :) The downside to the Jog is that it only has 10" wheels, and that becomes pretty squirrly at around 75 MPH...

But back to the mods- all scooters come with sub- 6 HP 49cc engines. You can get bigger pistons and cylinders- up to 70cc, stroker cranks, which would bring it up to around 102cc with the 70cc kit, pipes, carbs, reeds, ignition systems, racing slicks, bigger brakes, adjustable forks and rear coilovers, ect. Pretty much, if you can do it to a sportbike, you can do it to a scooter. If you did EVERYTHING you could, and beefed up the frame, I'm willing to bet that you could seriously piss off older CBR600 F1 riders and at least get respect from a 600RR rider.

Links:
http://www.50cc.nl
http://www.malossi.com
http://www.taffspeed.co.uk

If none of those links work, do a search for them on Google.

Back