its not the starter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHOBIA

ok, i got my car back from the shop today.new starter new alternator and my frame freshly dented "again" for alt clearence.and i threw on a shorter alt belt from a gsr. ok my problem is still around though. I used to think that grinding noise was from the alt not having enough clearence and it sounded like it was grinding.the same sound as a bad starter.but with all those items brand fucking new it has done it about 3 or 4 times tonight allready, ive only had my car back for maybe 8 hours.so i was trying to think about what the problem could be.so anyways enough rambling. there has been a few times were i was stoned and tried to turn the car over on my old civic whal it was allready on. and it made that awful grinding noise,the same noise im now experiencing whal trying to start my car.
i have the 91 civic si with the b16a thats been my hottopic of problems lately.any help guys .its pretty damn annoying whal people think my car is friggin great and i go to leave and a. it wont start right away. b.it grinds and is also pretty damn emberrasing "sp"

Um...it probably is the starter. It sounds like the starter sellinoid (the thing that pushes the starter gear into mesh with the flywheel) is broken. If it was underpowered then the starter gear would just rattle against the flywheel teeth (the sound you get when you try to start a car thats already started). Take it back to the shop and tell them to put a new starter on it.

Well, first try jump starting it, it might just be a little low on juice. But if that doesn't help, then Its probably the starter.

it starts up but some times it makes the noise and sometimes it doesnt.
the starter was just replaced. damnit,at least thats what the receipt he checked it and he sed everytthing is ok, but it didnt do it whal it was at my mechanics shop.
buti asked it to be checked anyways and replace it. every thing checked out.
what else could it be aside from that?

only makes the noise when you crank it right? not while its running?
and it only does it sometimes?

I agree with arachnid, sounds like the flywheel is missing a tooth or two

-Chris

This might help,
ignition.gif

-> Steve

Back