I've been converted...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohch22a4

After about four runs up and down a road we affectionately call "Dead Man's Road" and riding shotgun for over sixteen hours of drifting over the last three days in my buddy's HachiRoku, I'm officially ready to grow up and move to FR. Anycrap, I really want an AE86 so I am starting this thread to ask what to look for when buying a Corolla GT-S. I'm sure Clayton can help out andifanyone else has any info it's be much appreciated. After I sell the Civic, i should have more than enough money to decently hook up an 86. What are the most useful mods to do on the 'Rolla?

good luck finding a gts. most people ive seen that drift just do suspension mods and do minor engine work; itb's and such.

there's tons of GTS corollas but they're all the coupe version :p

Take it from me....Don't buy an SR5 and do the GTS swap....it's a bitch to do, it takes too long to do it, and will get expensive after a while...plus it will fustrate the hell out of you.

Buy a car that is already done or built...then finish building it to the way you like it.

and....Welcome to the Slide side :ph34r:

I searched autotrader.com for some corolla's a week ago, since it would be nice to have a car just for fun that won't cost so much. Found a good amount surprisingly in the 1-4k range, the ones selling for 4-7k were built and some of the 86's look mint.

I know what you mean about RWD cars, my girlfriend and i just snagged a miata and i love it

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Aug 4 2004, 08:58 PM
After about four runs up and down a road we affectionately call "Dead Man's Road" and riding shotgun for over sixteen hours of drifting over the last three days in my buddy's HachiRoku, I'm officially ready to grow up and move to FR. Anycrap, I really want an AE86 so I am starting this thread to ask what to look for when buying a Corolla GT-S. I'm sure Clayton can help out andifanyone else has any info it's be much appreciated. After I sell the Civic, i should have more than enough money to decently hook up an 86. What are the most useful mods to do on the 'Rolla?
[post=372825]Quoted post[/post]​

Screw the 86, yeah it is a fun car, but they are hard to come by and even harder to come by in good shape. Get a Miata, way more fun all around car, plus top down driving is the shit. I never knew till I owned a miata though.

Miata's are nice...but us tall people can't fit in them.

My buddy just got a really sweet Miata, I go to sit in it, and I can't fit....6'2" sucks for that hot little car....same for the Delsol...I would have got one a long time ago...but I can't fit....the 2nd gen CRX is a little bigger, but the 1st gen CRX is perfect for my long legs....plus the AE86 has a little bit of livable leg-room, but the 260Z...has a ton of legroom....I'd rather just build up a Z to drift if I did it all over again...who know's...I just might :ph34r:

Yeah, I think perhaps I may get an S13, I'm not sure. I like being able to go fast in a straight line as well and with SR power than can be done. The 86 is cool too. I dunno, I'll do whatever I do, but when I do it, I'll do it sideways. :)

Oh yeah, and Miata's are to small for me, 6'1'' and 260 don't mix with that. Nor do I get along well with the FD3S, way too small for me.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Aug 10 2004, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I think perhaps I may get an S13, I'm not sure. I like being able to go fast in a straight line as well and with SR power than can be done. The 86 is cool too. I dunno, I'll do whatever I do, but when I do it, I'll do it sideways. :)

Oh yeah, and Miata's are to small for me, 6'1'' and 260 don't mix with that. Nor do I get along well with the FD3S, way too small for me.
[post=374835]Quoted post[/post]​

I am 6'1" and I fit in a Miata just fine, granted I had to do a slight seat modification, but after that the seat is much more comfortable, and has way better side bolsters. Oh and if you are worried about fitting in a miata, and then you are thinking about a 240SX, you will have the same problem. My hair stands right into the roof, when I sit in my friends '92 240, and if we are on a bumpy road you better duck your head. If you have seen the "Drift Bible" DVD, and you watched the part about the dynamic drift, then you know how potant a miata can be. It is a much more supported car in this day and age than the AE86 is. The 240 has the same support for the most part, it is just a heavy car, that is begging for a motor swap, and the miata, just needs forced induction, and is built already for forced induction.

problem solved,,,,,,,,,more and more people are swapping in sr20det motors into miatas. I actually found one for sale in tampa for $$8000 for the miata, and already done swap.

its not the leg room in the misata for me- its the head room...
theres no way the roof could ever close with me sitting in the seat.

and more so, my view is straight at the roof line... not the widnshshield.

and i fit fine in the sol... but also wish i had 2 more in of headroom clearence for my helmet

6'2" and 170 lbs... im a skinny white boy... I live in Missouri,my friend has one and I have sat in his miata... not to much fitting for me

the only convert ive been able to fit in is my jeep... and well... yea

just get an S13, they are cheap, and have lots of potential.

I almost went out and got a corolla GTS.......but it just seems like a nightmare swapping the motor over, plus the lack of parts available in the US, and to have them imported costs a ton, etc....

I go to sit in it, and I can't fit....6'2" sucks for that hot little car....same for the Delsol...I would have got one a long time ago...but I can't fit....

This isn't necessarily true AJ.
When we were doing B16's Type R swap I sat in his drivers side for something (like trying to pump the brake off the assembly or something) andI fit fine. I'm 6'4 and with shoes probably 6'5.

Those Sol's are spacious. Moreso than my 94 Civic (same year as his Sol).

I jumped in BlackFrogs Del, I couldn't fit...
I jumped in Thon's Miata...I couldn't fit...

Modify a miata seat and my 6' 4" roommate fits in one, you can drop the seat so that you sit lower than in a 240. The problem with the 240, is that it is a porker of a car, they weigh a ton. Granted the miata is slightly heavier than a honda hatchback especially with a hardtop, but a miata has just as much potential. Just do some sort of forced induction, which is almost required for both cars.

last time I check the miata weighed in at 2200lbs-ish, and you all know the weight specs on hondas/acuras.

1990-1994
Coupes = 2699ish
Hatch = 2730ish

1995-1998
Coupe = 2783ish

So they are about 100 or so lbs heavier than Integras

Back