I've been doing this way too long..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, I was working last night and my Integra died. I was cruising along and the engine shut itself off. I shifted to neutral and costed into a pharmacy parking lot. While sitting there, I tried to start it.. First crank, I note that it isn't firing and there doesn't seem to be any compression. I exclaim "Fucking timing belt".

So, I towed it to my house, took the timing belt cover and valve cover off and verified that the timing belt had in fact ate shit. I had the dealership on speed dial, called 'em up, ordered a new alternator belt, power steering belt, A/C belt, timing belt, and a water pump (might as well)

I went back to my shop, grabbed a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and a 19mm and wheeled out the air compressor and impact wrench, and a cherry picker.

It was at this point that I snickered to myself and realized, I've been working on honda's way, way too long.

But I love 'em. :D

Yes, stuff breaks on friend's cars (mostly domestics) and I hate working on them.. I was going to try to sneak by without the 17mm but I was having trouble getting the driver side mount to line back up so I had to use it.

I was only going about 40mph when it died.. I didn't hear any clatter or anything, so I figured the valves were ok, and they are. After looking at the timing belt, its amazing it was still running at that point. I'm certain it was the factory timing belt and it had 120k on it. It was so cracked and dried I could actually peel off the teeth by hand.

Anyway, its all buttoned back up and running like a champ again.

Gotta love Hondas.

Last edited:
honda motors seem to run no matter what you do to them. we took an 91 hatch and TRIED to blow the motor up.. Drained the oil out, started picking up anything we could find in the drive way, rocks, cigarrette butts, sand, sawdust, woodchips from the garden, put it all in the motor and drove it for close to 2 hours bouncing off the rev limiter, finally we thought we'd done it when it stalled out. we were wrong the clutch completely let go still started up and ran. Had a funny knock to it but still it ran with no oil.

Back