ive been toying with the idea, but im not sure.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

owning a new car is cool and all, but new cars are the worst investment you can possibly make. if you have 30+ grand in hand, why not look for a house, or something thats not going to loose $3000 in it's value as soon as you take ownership?

Good point. Also remember that the 350's engine is about to be eclipsed when the new GTR comes out.

Its value is going to take a total shitter in a few months . . .

Yeah, no.

The VQ series engine will be around in the nissan for quite awhile, in fact there was much talk that the VQ may actually be going into the GTR. ...so much for 'eclipsed'.

Values of cars do not drop dramatically because a small niche market has been filled by a new car. The GTR is set to debut at $70,000. Clearly the market that the GTR is targeted to capture is extremely different from the market that the 350z/G35/G37 capture.

I'll leave Jeffie to throw the rest of the gasoline on the fire...

^ and thats exactly why the Signal V35 runs an SR20DET right?

Oh, and I hear the guys at Top Secret are big fans of the VQ as well :rolleyes:

The 350z looks great, but when a $6.5k nissan 240sx raeps it in terms of performance, the Z is obviously a poor choice.

^ and thats exactly why the Signal V35 runs an SR20DET right?

Oh, and I hear the guys at Top Secret are big fans of the VQ as well :rolleyes:

The 350z looks great, but when a $6.5k nissan 240sx raeps it in terms of performance, the Z is obviously a poor choice.

The SR20 was abandoned by Nissan.

It was never made to come stateside so it never passed the emissions tests here in the state. Therefore the decision for Nissan to use the VQ series engine in the GTR was simple.

Look at the numbers of a twin turbo'd VQ series and they'll be equally as impressive as a SR20.

A $5,000 civic can be made to 'rape' a porsche. Will you be making the same statement with the civic as you will be with the porsche? Will the civic be brand new? Will the civic have a warranty? Will the civic have modern creature comforts?

Read through the thread and baffle yourself at the idea that Jeffie has already pointed out comparing a new car to an old car is apples to oranges.

I'd take a 2007 car over almost any car produced in 1995 for a number of personal reasons.

The SR20 was abandoned by Nissan.

It was never made to come stateside so it never passed the emissions tests here in the state. Therefore the decision for Nissan to use the VQ series engine in the GTR was simple.

So what. They are easy as shit to get. I drove my 240 for 2 years and never had it inspected, no problems whatsoever.

Look at the numbers of a twin turbo'd VQ series and they'll be equally as impressive as a SR20.

Yeah but an SR20 costs almost nothing at 1.5k . . .

Why dump 30k to have a VQ which requires massive tuning to run correctly (as a daily driver) under boost?

All my car needed for low 13 second passes was a fuel pump, and a boost controller. It ran great as a daily driver.

A $5,000 civic can be made to 'rape' a porsche. Will you be making the same statement with the civic as you will be with the porsche? Will the civic be brand new? Will the civic have a warranty? Will the civic have modern creature comforts?

Heh - you have something in common w/this guy:

HomerSimpson said:
"Extended warranty! How can I lose??"

:doh:

I'd take a 2007 car over almost any car produced in 1995 for a number of personal reasons.

Well, most people with brains in their heads would rather count their greenbacks and watch your broke ass vanish in their rear-view-mirror.

The 350 looks nice, but there are much better cars (both new and old) on the market for the same price or less.

yeah well the car might not be the fastest, but i like the way it looks, and how it feels behind the drivers seat.

and i doubt the the gtr will have any effect on the cost of the z bc thats a whole different market. bi difference in a 30k -40k car and a 70k+ car.

and i have no clue. i have nothing on my credit at all. its been ran a couple times and they just tell me that i have no credit. in most cases the people tell me that if i had bad credit i would have more of a chance getting financed for something than i do with no credit.
usually goes like this:
me: "i have no credit, zero, nothing good or bad. just nothing. and no cosigner either.
salesman: "well, lets just run it and see. im sure we can do something"
*a little while later*
salesman: "well, it seems that you have absolutly no credit. do you have somebody that will cosign with you?"
me: "your a dumbass arent you?"

same thing, everytime. frustrating circle.

and i wont be buying new. used. around a 03 or 04 model. i doubt i will ever buy new. id rather pick something up that has already depreciated in value.
all i look to do the z (if i get one) is basic mods. i/h/e. and some suspension upgrades, make it "ride on rails". and thats it. the ef will be my money pit. but thats just bc i love that car.

At least you are thinking things thru completely.

Have you test-driven anything else in your current price range? Just wondering. I would think an Evolution or STI could be had for around the same price.

The new mustang is also a good candidate . . . or even a GTO.

yeah, ive driven those. i would like to have the evo but i know that the insurance on a vehicle thats factory turbo would be much greater, i would want an evo 8. and i think their priced a little higher than 20k. usually.

and i just really dont like domestic cars. i hate mustangs, and while the GTO is slightly appealing, i just dont want one. i like the way it looks but thats about it. my brother has one of those and.... eh... not for me.

yeah, im thinking things thru. i like the 350z. its obvioulsy sporty,and a professional type car also. i like the looks, performance, and the overall confortability of the car. while im more of a honda guy, the newer honda civics and such dont appeal to me much. i like the rsx but i kinda want a rwd. and no not for drifting, i have no interest in that. the awd of the evo's and sti's would be nice but they are a little above my price range, i may check tomorow. but i can get a z for about 15 or 16k. all in all, it really seems to be the best bang for the buck.

wouldnt mind the new 08 G37 though, that bitch is pretty, but i wouldnt drop 45k on it. never.

At least you are thinking things thru completely.

Have you test-driven anything else in your current price range? Just wondering. I would think an Evolution or STI could be had for around the same price.

The new mustang is also a good candidate . . . or even a GTO.

I've thought about the same thing you just asked. Hands down win for the Z.
The STI and EVO are nice but they'll never look anywhere near as good as a well done Z.

350Z + basic bolt on supercharger = 350-400WHP

350Z + basic bolt on turbo/supercharger kit with minor fuel/ecu/exhaust mods 400-500WHP easy

350Z + motor work + turbo kit + fuel mods = 500-600WHP on pump gas with a low boost setting.

I know of at least 10 + 350Z (people I've met) in Maryland that make well over 400WHP and are 100% street cars. few of them make close to 600WHP again in street form.

YouTube - Alberto's TT 350Z - 50-159mph I've been in this car and even raced it with my F4i =) guy that owns it is really nice, lives about 15 mins from me.

The Z motor is starting to be the talk of the new big horse power motor, even seen a few supra guys give it props, there's already a handful making over 1000+ hp and I know of at least one making 1400 hp

IMG_1222.jpg

Right after buying my Z a few years back I ran into this guy when his car was almost stock, now he's making well over 400WHP and does both car shows and drift events.

IMG_0652.jpg

same car.

Z_basement1.jpg

1036014750_14b576e86b_o.jpg

4xp79cx.jpg

az1.jpg

1oct.jpg

I saved the best two for last... :ph34r:

One thing about the Z, you fix it up and its just badass, you dump tons of money into a civic and it still gets that "its a civic" feel to it, even the EVO and STI have that same kidish feel. 240SX if done right isn't bad but they're old and in the end I really do think the Z has a lot more to work with. Plus you can get it stock with a 300hp motor and 6 speed tranny so there's no need to swap motors.

Give capital one a call tomorrow. tell them straight up you have zero credit and want to build it, ask them if they are willing to help you, even if it means having a super low limit, you don't care.

The 350 looks nice, but there are much better cars (both new and old) on the market for the same price or less.

You're talking to a 22year old who already has begun retirement planning, estate planning, and other financial planning about "counting their greenbacks."

....riiiiiiiight.

If you view a car as an investment, you lose. If you view a modified car as an investment, you're even more delusional. Those Kia "save the greenback" commercials aren't working.

Last edited:
I've thought about the same thing you just asked. Hands down win for the Z.
The STI and EVO are nice but they'll never look anywhere near as good as a well done Z.

350Z + basic bolt on supercharger = 350-400WHP

350Z + basic bolt on turbo/supercharger kit with minor fuel/ecu/exhaust mods 400-500WHP easy

350Z + motor work + turbo kit + fuel mods = 500-600WHP on pump gas with a low boost setting.

I know of at least 10 + 350Z (people I've met) in Maryland that make well over 400WHP and are 100% street cars. few of them make close to 600WHP again in street form

Although its possible to make ok power on a Z, that money would be better spent on something built to see forced induction (aka evo/sti, if you can stomach the looks).

The thread starter hear said he did not want to mod his Z beyond basic i/h/e parts, so he should go get one if he so desires.

Although its possible to make ok power on a Z, that money would be better spent on something built to see forced induction (aka evo/sti, if you can stomach the looks).

I disagree, If AWD is a must then yes, but if not, hell no. There's a lot of people on the Z boards who have either went from an STI/EVO to a Z, or a Z to an STI/EVO or a handful that have both STI/EVO and Z.

When it comes to high horse power it doesn't matter what you start off with. Most everything is going out the window.

If you're taking about cheap horse power then yes the STI/EVO is a better pick from the get go, but only up to X many horse power, then everything gets throw out anyways for new parts so it doesn't matter anyways.

Grab a Z, springs, camber kit, exhaust/intake, wheels, tires and call it a day.

The thread starter hear said he did not want to mod his Z beyond basic i/h/e parts, so he should go get one if he so desires.

...so clearly neither of you are listening to what the original poster really has specified as his wants.

1) He doesn't want a modded car. There's goes your swapped 240

2) He wants the 350Z for he looks of the car, not to be a speed racer. He has said that the car has more than adequate power and he simply likes the feel of the car.

3) This need is abstract but clearly if he wants the looks of a 350Z and the comfort, than he is more interested in a newer car with modern conveniences over a ten year old car.

Grab a Z, springs, camber kit, exhaust/intake, wheels, tires and call it a day.

thats the plan. i was tossed between the z or a g35, but those pics got me. by far the fourth is my fav, nice and mild. the z is just prettier. yep.

...so clearly neither of you are listening to what the original poster really has specified as his wants.

1) He doesn't want a modded car. There's goes your swapped 240

2) He wants the 350Z for he looks of the car, not to be a speed racer. He has said that the car has more than adequate power and he simply likes the feel of the car.

3) This need is abstract but clearly if he wants the looks of a 350Z and the comfort, than he is more interested in a newer car with modern conveniences over a ten year old car.

yep, i already have my swapped car that i plan on keeping. basic mods on a z will be more than enough.
i want something new that doesnt have as many probs as an older one has, i realize that all used cars will have their probs.

im gonna call around when im not busy at work to see what i can do. i may take one day off and see what i can find.

lmao. well i tried my hand at financing one today, had my brother in law to cosign for me.
they ran out credit and my score is low. my student loans are behind.
turns out that my cosigner has shittier credit than i do. so i have to find another.
heres to hope.

lmao. well i tried my hand at financing one today, had my brother in law to cosign for me.
they ran out credit and my score is low. my student loans are behind.
turns out that my cosigner has shittier credit than i do. so i have to find another.
heres to hope.

Here's to killing any debt that was sent or is going to be sent to collections and ruining your credit history, before going out and attempting to make a major purchase.

...be smart.

the only thing on the credit is my student loans. theyre a couple payments behind. i havent actually kept up with them bc i havnt really cared. but know that i know im gonna get them caught up when i get paid, so heres to thinking smart.

im not a dumbass.

but i still have to find another cosigner. and im gonna try my sister, they bought a house (sister and brother in law) so obviously one of them has to have good enough credit, and that obviously isnt my in law.

Back