Jackson Racing Supercharger Issues D16Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

La_Pieuvre

Hey everyone... Been MIA for a while. Endless hour days of school and work made me a lurker only. Now that I'm done with school, I decided to boost the good old civic. You know the urge to turn something perfectly fine and reliable into another headache. :laugh:
I know most if not all of you will say I should have gone turbo instead of supercharger but I didn't want to so don't try to persuade me otherwise :)

Anyway, here's the shit I can't figure out.

. I need your advice on an issue that recently came up after I installed a JRSC on my 98 Civic EX (D16Y8 ).
When we started the car after the install, a few things went wrong:

- It idles at about 1500-1700 RPM and stays in that range after warming up.
- Whenever we tried to drive it and engaged first gear and depressed the clutch and gave it gas, it would drop the RPM and the car would die. It felt like the engine would bog down and stall out.
- I believe, if I remember correctly, that I couldn't really rev it and it would still die.
- Also, there is a somewhat loud belt squeal sound but after checking the belt, we can't figure out why. We checked tension on the AC and PS belts and they seem fine and not too tight. The mounts are stock so maybe we didn't properly account for engine movement and something is hitting the belt(s).

Now, my buddy and I are thinking that it could be:
- an IACV issue (we didn't replace the two o-rings on it as we forgot to pick some up, so it's still on the old o-rings)
- a vacuum line issue.

Hopefully you guys will have some advice to lead us in the right direction as this is unfortunately my daily (and only) driver.

Thanks in advance.

For the high idle go through and check all of your vaccum connections, I just installed the jrsc on my gsr and forgot to hook up the pcv hose to the pcv valve and the idle was about 2000 rpm. Take your time and check, also, check and see if the pcv valve is bad, it should flow a little air, but not much.
When/if you find the leak it may take care of your othr problem, if not, try some of there things:
Check the pressure switch electronics, sometimes the t-tap that is supplied does not actually make contact with the wire that you are supposed to connect to, also, check and see if your map and tps plugs are switched, after you check all of these things, if you don't come up with an answer, call jackson racing or shoot them an e-mail.
as far as the belt squeal, check the tension again on the supercharger belt and the alternator.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hey everyone... Been MIA for a while. Endless hour days of school and work made me a lurker only. Now that I'm done with school, I decided to boost the good old civic. You know the urge to turn something perfectly fine and reliable into another headache. :lol:
I know most if not all of you will say I should have gone turbo instead of supercharger but I didn't want to so don't try to persuade me otherwise :)

Anyway, here's the shit I can't figure out.

. I need your advice on an issue that recently came up after I installed a JRSC on my 98 Civic EX (D16Y8 ).
When we started the car after the install, a few things went wrong:

- It idles at about 1500-1700 RPM and stays in that range after warming up.
- Whenever we tried to drive it and engaged first gear and depressed the clutch and gave it gas, it would drop the RPM and the car would die. It felt like the engine would bog down and stall out.
- I believe, if I remember correctly, that I couldn't really rev it and it would still die.
- Also, there is a somewhat loud belt squeal sound but after checking the belt, we can't figure out why. We checked tension on the AC and PS belts and they seem fine and not too tight. The mounts are stock so maybe we didn't properly account for engine movement and something is hitting the belt(s).

Now, my buddy and I are thinking that it could be:
- an IACV issue (we didn't replace the two o-rings on it as we forgot to pick some up, so it's still on the old o-rings)
- a vacuum line issue.

Hopefully you guys will have some advice to lead us in the right direction as this is unfortunately my daily (and only) driver.

Thanks in advance.

For the high idle go through and check all of your vaccum connections, I just installed the jrsc on my gsr and forgot to hook up the pcv hose to the pcv valve and the idle was about 2000 rpm. Take your time and check, also, check and see if the pcv valve is bad, it should flow a little air, but not much.
When/if you find the leak it may take care of your othr problem, if not, try some of there things:
Check the pressure switch electronics, sometimes the t-tap that is supplied does not actually make contact with the wire that you are supposed to connect to, also, check and see if your map and tps plugs are switched, after you check all of these things, if you don't come up with an answer, call jackson racing or shoot them an e-mail.
as far as the belt squeal, check the tension again on the supercharger belt and the alternator.
La_Pieuvre Posted Apr 30 2006, 05:44 PM

not sure about the JRSC but the idle and car dieing when given a little gas sounds like your classic MAP and TPS backwards, check that first! high idle sounds like a vacuum leak but after i read your car dying off any gas, id flip those connectors first! :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
not sure about the JRSC but the idle and car dieing when given a little gas sounds like your classic MAP and TPS backwards, check that first! high idle sounds like a vacuum leak but after i read your car dying off any gas, id flip those connectors first! :wink:

You guys were right, it was the sensors plugged in wrong. Honda made both the MAP sensor and TPS sensors look the same so that's why.
Now the car runs pretty rich (brand new plugs are already all black at the tip). I'm got a Hondata S300 on the way along with bigger injectors, so we'll see what happens.
The car is ok to drive now, just needs tuning.

Quoted post[/post]]
Converting to OBD1?

Hi O. :)

Hi Mike.

Yeah I'm converting to OBD1, I got the car up and running and drive it around but it's still a bit rich. Actually, very rich, I'm getting about 10 mpg so I can't wait to have the S300 and have the car tuned so I can ditch the JR FMU.

Put in the S300 with the RC440 Injectors and Walbro pump and loaded the JR calibration into the S300 and, man this thing is awesome to drive, there's torque everywhere!
All the issues are gone, no more CEL, mileage back to what it should be (upper 20's), etc...

This is like a whole new car! :worthy:

I am now happy with the civic :mrgreen:

Back