JB weld on oil pan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ram

Hello everyone,
My daughter cracked her Alum. oil pan on her 2000 Civic EX and I cant find
a cheap replacement. Can anyone pont me to the right place ? I was thinking of
using JB weld on it, but dont know if it will hold. I know I have to prep the surface
really good, but have anyone on this forum done this before ?
Can I use a steel pan ? If so, please provide me a link.

Thanks,
Ram

tired Ebay, but the ones for the EX are in the $200 range. The other pans on
there dont include the EX as one compatible models. Can a steel pan be used
in place of the alum pan ?

JB weld is fine. If you can remove the oil pan and clean it inside and out, then jb weld it up you should be ok.

Edit: You can also bring it to a weld shop and have them weld the crack

Thanks Turbo,
I am going to attempt to remove it, but dont know how to deal with the rusted
exhaust screw and what looks like a transmission support mount which I dont know if it needs to come off ? I dont want an oil pan replacement to turn into a
re-tapping of the exhaust manifold because I dont have taps ! :) Any advice ?

wow, when i bought my new oil pan for my mirage it was like $87 from the dealer. fuck honda.

got pics?

get some PB blaster to loosen up rusted bolts, should make it alot easier. i have used jb weld on an oil pan of mine when putting in a oil return line, worked fine but if you can i would weld the crack instead of JB'ing it. just call your local welding shop and see how much they would charge. you should be able to pick up a used y8 pan in a honda forum for around 30.

I used JB weld to fix a crack in my moroso 5.5 quart pan. It cracked off a weld where the return line goes. Took me forever to find out what the hell was leaking. But hey 700 miles later no leak at all. I grinded on the crack with a dremel and cleaned it with lacquer thinner before applying the jb weld.

Best bet is to use matching oil pickup. Doing that; you can run any 88-00 D-series pan(just use corresponding oil pickup).

GL

JB weld is some good shit. Iv used it on oil pans, transmission leaks and way more it holds up fine but like Turbo&Auto said your gonna want the oil pan off and do it good so you wont have to worry about it for probably a couple years.

do not use JB weld, I just had to remove that crap from my cousins trans. pan she bought it from some guy that tried to fix the problem that way. of course this was also a steel transmission pan so I just welded it, it was leaking like crazy.

Bring it to an exhaust shop, and have them weld it. Then whip out a dremel and clean up the weld. Then remember to use some high-temp rtv with the gasket.

You can use any 88-00 D-series pan as long as you use the corresponding pickup, also the D16Y7 ('96-'00 non vtec) pickup is the same as the D16Y8 ('96-'00 vtec) pickup, so it's a straight pan swap in that case. The only difference is you won't be able to re-use the Y8 tranny-oilpan L-brackets, but you should be fine without them anyways.

TurboMirage

wow, when i bought my new oil pan for my mirage it was like $87 from the dealer. fuck honda.

got pics?

TurboMirage, I need to replace oil pan on my mirage. If you remember, can you tell me what dealer did you buy it from? The price is good.

JB weld is a great temporary fix, but it is only temporary.

Take it to the shop and have it welded up. Shouldn't run you more than $30.

Back