1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jdm b16 in 92 hatch

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by 98civic, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. 98civic

    98civic Junior Member

    Likes Received:
    Feb 15, 2004
    if i have a jdm b16, would it pass emissions or is there somethin that i have to do to pass emissions? thanx
  2. E_SolSi

    E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

    Likes Received:
    Sep 28, 2002
    run all the USDM emissions equipment
  3. xj0hnx

    xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

    Likes Received:
    Nov 10, 2002
    This is for California, if you don't live in Californa you need to check with your local DOT for emission standards

    I am passing information along from a C.A.R.B. representative that I got when I called asking the for info on the subject of JDM engine swaps. He stated that no, they are not legal as replacment engines, you can use parts for replacement parts, as long as they are exactly the same part. But like I said, he said it isn't law, it is policy, and there for the deciding factor is if the ref wants to pass it, he can. He went into a long speil about how the Japanese motor importing industry is a privilege not a right, and they can take it away, and are going to be getting more strict, yadda, yadda, yadda...

    Here's the phone numbers...

    (800) 242-4450 in California
    (800) 322-9277 nationwide (626) 575-6858 non-USA.

    Actually one part I left out is this..."If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine." (not a JDM engine)


    Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

    The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

    The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

    If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

    All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

    After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station.

    The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

    --Japanese Replacement Engines--

    Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

    Note the functionally identical part, meaning a DOHC B16A2 isn't functionally identical to a SOHC D15B2.

    the rep said, he the ref wants to pass it, he can.
  4. dok

    dok Senior Member

    Likes Received:
    Mar 20, 2003
    in illionis and all they do is stick a pipe in the back you should be ok
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page