JDM B16 Swap Problems!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

itzkevin

Hey guys. I have a 92 integra gsr with the original b17 in it. I decided to get a JDM b16 SiR II [obd1] to replace the b17 because it had over 170k miles and felt sluggish. I bought the b16 from a private seller in my area. After finishing the swap, we finally got it to start after a couple a tries. However, we noticed several severe problems. It sounded very rough and nasty. When I drive it, it feels very slow off the line and i cant get past 3500 rpms. When it gets to 3500 rpms, it bounces off like a rev limiter, causing me to have to shift. this problem happens in every gear. Another problem is my rough idle. I re-used the wiring harness and ecu from the b17. Overall, this should be a straight plug and play swap, because their both obd1 engines and I really dont have to mess with any wiring. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if theres something wrong with the engine itself or maybe the swap was done wrong. Please help me with any ideas on what might be causing these problems.. thanks in advance :wave:

I just had the same problem @ 3500rpms with my mini-me swap.
watch my Video and read the comments in my Thread.

My problem was a loose Distributor wire, which put me into 'limp' mode.
Check all your pin's and wires at your dizzy, then pull the Hazard fuse for 10 sec to
reset your ECU.

Then take it for a drive.

-Andrew

Andrew said:
I just had the same problem @ 3500rpms with my mini-me swap.
watch my Video and read the comments in my Thread.

My problem was a loose Distributor wire, which put me into 'limp' mode.
Check all your pin's and wires at your dizzy, then pull the Hazard fuse for 10 sec to
reset your ECU.

Then take it for a drive.

-Andrew
thanks for your suggestions man. ima try it out in a bit :D

No problamo.

Let us know how it turns out.

Andrew said:
No problamo.

Let us know how it turns out.
wow man. it worked!! :lol: no more problem with the 3500 rpms and its not sluggish no more. all i need now is to fix a couple little problems like my idle and stuff. but yeh, thanks a lot man. i almost went thru with putting my old b17 back in today, before i was able to fix this little problem. thanks for saving me the money and time ;)

damnit, this problem seems to be on and off for some reason. after checking the wiring and resetting the ecu, the problem goes away. however, sometimes when i turn off the car and come back to start it up few minutes later, the problem reappears. its frustrating, because i dont wanna have to check all the wiring and resetting the ecu, each time i go to start up the car. any ideas on why its doing this on and off? i'm still throwing codes 14 and 16, which is the IACV and the fuel injector problem. is this happening because i havent gotten rid of the codes? thanks for any help and suggestions :cool:

Well, I'm actually having the same problem, yet again.
My IACV is going bad. Fuel Injector system WAS throwing a code, but just checking over wiring and making sure the clips are on the injecter's were clipped down, it went away.

I'm still having this problem off and on as well. My situation is that my connecter itself has a faulty/bent pin-holder-tab thingy, which basically lets my pin slip right out when I plug the dizzy connecter up, So I'm just gonna replace the entire connecter with another one I have laying around.

Stupid wiring... but I'm glad to hear it worked for you too!

the codes aren't being thrown for no reason. check your wiring continuity on your IACV and injector harnesses.

btw, you still got the b17? I may be interested in taking it off your hands if you live in cali. :)

If you are still having trouble going over 3500 rpm it could your distributor is going bad. If you can replace the distributor and see you can eliminate that from your list of possibilities.

jsaludar said:
If you are still having trouble going over 3500 rpm it could your distributor is going bad. If you can replace the distributor and see you can eliminate that from your list of possibilities.
well i just bought this p30 ecu yesterday. with this ecu, it lets me go past 3500 rpms. however, my car is still very sluggish and runs pretty shitty :eek:

my car is doing pretty much the same thing '89 civic HB DX w/ b16a2 sirII" it's sluggish to start but after i get past so many rpms the car jumps forward a couple times then takes off. i was thinking bad dizzy wire(s)

hey guys i had the same prob but not i am allso blown black smoke that smells like strate fuel and cant fig out the prob

first it was the disbuter and then it was then its was the ecu. what is the iavc? that may be my prob!!!!! with black smoke .. cause i know the bis... is the same thing as runnin ricth .thanks

Back