JDM B16 with type R camshafts?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Superwho05

I have a simple question I cant seem to find the answer for. I have a JDM B16 looking to do a few NA mods to (not too extensive) and was investigating the difference in vtec camshafts. type R is obviously the best in OEM which is what Im trying to stick to, but I dont know what the outcome of the shaft-swap would be, such as my main question: would the type R vtec lobes open too far and hit the pistons? or would it be better to go with GSR shafts....? :( help lol

I've ran CTR cams in my old B16 on the stock springs and retainers. However, you must stay under the stock redline of 8200 if you do this. I would suggest getting the Type R springs and Retainers like Blanco said, so you can rev higher and take full advantage of the cams.

yes I honestly havent found anyone with that set up lol. and I plan on using type r retainers, but how much difference in performance am I going to be expecting? Im getting hondata too

you'll have to explain that one to me, havent done much research into ecu mods lol. I have a skunk2 intake manifold and mugen 1-piece headers

I know you cant expect the most out of mods without tuning, thats why I was looking into a program like hondata. where would I get chrome? and would any performance shop be able to program chrome, or am I going to have to hunt down one of those rare shops

wait a sec! you say run type r cams as long as you change to type r valvetain.

what about gsr cams in a b16? no change is necessary?

ok thanks, i twisted down the arp main studs into the block, theres an alan head on top of each bolt, what torque pound do i tightened the studs before placing the main caps on top of the crank?

or do i leave them finger tight in the block?

When using head studs, your not supposed to torque them in. The only time you will torque anything, is the head bolts when you torque the head down. Just tighten the studs in with the tool supplied by hand.

Back