JDM B16a into a 91 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaRacer238

I got a JDM B16A sitting in my outbuilding waiting to be put into my 91 CRX...I have a 1.5L automatic trans in my CRX as of now...the JDM B16A is a manual, with shift linkage, shifter, and vtec drive axles, as well as the harness and ecu, etc...I was wondering if the jdm drive axles will work, if there is any probelms with the ecu or the harness hooking up, if i need to get motor mounts or any special radiator hoses or radiator setup...and im also wondering what to do for a clutch pedal...any of this info would help me a lot...thx :D :worthy:

I know for a fact that you can't use your stock mounts. That is a given, you could always use HASport, Place Racing, Avid, etc. As for the axles, they should work if you are absolutely sure that they came from a JDM hatch or CRX w/ a B16. It all depends on what your motor came out of. As for the pedal, there are places that sell the clutch pedal assembly such as PasswordJDM, Inline Four, or AutoSonic. That should be it assuming that you have had you wiring harness modified for your B16. Good Luck

Originally posted by mrnikelz@Aug 20 2004, 10:30 PM
I know for a fact that you can't use your stock mounts. That is a given, you could always use HASport, Place Racing, Avid, etc. As for the axles, they should work if you are absolutely sure that they came from a JDM hatch or CRX w/ a B16. It all depends on what your motor came out of. As for the pedal, there are places that sell the clutch pedal assembly such as PasswordJDM, Inline Four, or AutoSonic. That should be it assuming that you have had you wiring harness modified for your B16. Good Luck
[post=379948]Quoted post[/post]​

What wiring harness mods are necissary for it to work with my b16?

My favorite for mounts are ENJO. I think that they are the best mount out there without going to HASport (who obviously owns the market). I think that for the price (about half of HASport), they make a killer mount. If you're using a JDM PR3 ECU, you'll need to add a second O2 sensor to your harness, as well as wire for a knock sensor and obviously MPFI if your stock motor was a 1.5L. You'll also need a shift linkage. It's best to change out the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, oil pump, front and rear main seals, spark plugs, wires, dist cap&rotor, and exhaust manifold gasket. The bare minimum that I'd say you could get away with is timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. If you don't change those with the motor out, it can turn into a real pain, including a messed up head if you don't change the timing belt and it decides to snap. If you have any questions, or need any parts, I can help you out, just email me at josh@wiredspeed.com.

I would go with the Hasport mounts. They are considered the best. I've never heard a complaint about them (except maybe price).

You need to run 4 wires for the swap. 3 for vtec and the 2nd O2 like ^^ mentioned. Its REALLY easy. Trust me. You need to run:
VTEC Solenoid
VTEC Oil Pressure
Knock Sensor
O2 sensor #2

you'll also need CRX/Hatch DX/Si Hubs if your car is an HF. ONLY if it is an HF. You'll also want an upper and lower radiator hose from a 90 Teg.

yeah, i agree... HASport are the best, but very expensive. I think that ENJO makes nearly as good a mount, with a lifetime warranty, for about half the price.

Yeah, I kinda forgot that you have to wire up for vtec! It shouldn't be that hard for you to do it if you have any wiring/electronics experience at all. Just hit up here if you have problems/need help!

I did this swap with almost no previous car experience so it can't be that hard. Just remeber to have lots of backup money and to not get frusterated when things don't go right. Thats the nature of projects, shit happens; instead of getting pissed, find a way to fix it (and hondaswap is a great place to start)!

i bought some mounts off ebay...the only problem i have is...the right side mount is cock eyed (angled)...has anyone ever run into this before...maybe i got the wrong mount...do i need to make the hole bigger for the bolt? thanks for the help i jus wanted to make sure about it before i messed something up tryin to make it work

Those look like place racing copies. However, I would not have gone with mounts from a company with no name. No name = no reputation = nothing to lose. What do you mean by angled? Do they make the engine sit weird?

I need a better description of the problem for me to asess whether or not they're fucked up, or if you are just having problems installing them.

angled as in they set in the welded frame part angled...like here is where it should bolt up ( ) and here is the mount / it sits like this (/) not nearly that bad but it still has a damn good angle to it...i can get pics of it if u want...i jus dont kno how to post them....and no they dont make the engine sit wierd...they wont even bolt up unless i drill some bigger holes and stuff...i think i may just have the wrong mounts...cuz at first the guy sent me 3 mounts...well 2 of them were the same...so i told him...and he sent me the 1 i was needing...well the 1 he sent me was chrome and nice and fitted right up perfectly..then the other 2 r jus a grey finish and both are angled wierd...they may be the wrong mounts...either that or they may jus be fed up...i can take pics if u sho me how to post or post them for me...thx

ok guys...the engine is in on the mounts and everything appears to fit...the only problem is the front mount by the radiator...it doesnt line up at all....what am i supposed to do with it...do i take it off and re weld it somewhere...or do i just not use it?

You don't use the front mount. You should have cut off the front mount bracket off the front cross member...but that doesn't really matter, I didn't. With hasport mounts this is not a problem, the motor doesn't move at all. My engine isn't going ANYWHERE. However, if you notice flex in your mounts, you may want to reweld that front backet to fit the stock b16 front mount.

my CRX is automatic and i have the shift linkage, but i have nothing else, does anyone know where i can get the rest? i also need to know about wiring...what goes where...can that wiring part on the site answer all of those questions or is that a different setup?

Back