JDM B16A into my 98 Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok... Back in february i swapped out my D18Y8 (SOHC Vtec) for a JDM B16A (DOHC Vtec). the sawp went really well with the exception that for some reason my guage cluster does not work at all... the lights on the cluster work fine (high beams, srs, check enigine etc.)... I used the wiring harness form the new motor... this problem has stumped me all summer so, i would really appreciate the help...

Did ALL of the guages in your cluster stop working? Sometimes when doing swaps it's possible to send a voltage spike from when you took the old out or put the new in, sometimes it just happens, or sometimes you screw up, I've seen it more than once- including my own car.

If that's the case you might have just fried the cluster, but they're pretty cheap on ebay. If you just lost a certain section, it's easier to track. Like if the speedometer stopped working, then you're engine came with a bad speed sensor (located on the transmission) etc.

when we first did the swap the only guauges that worked we fuel and temp but the the next day they all stopped workin. i tried a cluster out of my friends 98 ex and that didn't work either... so i am completely stumped... :(

wow...a noob thread so far...

are you using an obd0 ecu?

im not positive, but i think obd0 cars had a speedometer cable, rather than a wire...coulda been the same for the tach.

im not positive, but i've heard something like that before.

HOW in the HELL did you make an obd0 motor work in an obd2 car???? did you splice the wiring harnesses together?? or did you replace the entire in-car harness???

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 7 2003, 02:49 PM
wow...a noob thread so far...

If your so superior why are you trying to waste this kids time on a speedometer cable if his whole cluster is dead?

And is car is a 98, all electronic- no cable anyways, because I didn't read anything about OBD0.

Trust me, I'm a noob on a forum, that doesn't mean I'm a noob at cars.

1. B16A = obd0, dumbass.

2. obd0 = cable speedometer (i think, as i stated before)

3. the whole cluster is not dead.
the lights on the cluster work fine
if it was dead, he would be getting NO POWER to it AT ALL. all that appears to be wrong is that the GAUGES aren't working. if he's using an obd0 ecu in an obd2 car (With an obd2 gauge cluster), THE GAUGES WOULD NOT WORK.

so...STFU n00b!

Originally posted by 1phatcivic28@Oct 3 2003, 01:04 AM
my guage cluster does not work at all

Okay, so when my cluster went dead, how come my cluster lights still worked fine. I lost all the gauges on my dx 4 months after buying it, but it lit up without a problem. Maybe I'm just crazy, because when I argue, I make DAMN SURE that I AM SURE.

And...

1. B16A can equal JDM obd0, obd1, obd2, and if you want to be real technical because you are oh so smart, it can also be obd2-b on models operating with a P2T. :owned:

2. OBD0 = cable speedometer, you "think". How can you put up such an argument, and "think" you are right about something. No no no. If you argue, you must KNOW. Yes, OBD0 = cable speedometer. But if you would had reading skills, it would not matter after he said nothing worked.

I think you've earned an APC logo on your car now.

okay, so since obd0 DOES have a cable speedometer, and IF he is using an obd0 motor and obd0 ecu, yet still has his obd2 gauge cluster AND obd2 speedometer, wouldn't that explain at LEAST the speedometer not working?

also, if he's using an obd0 motor, and still has the obd0 sensors on the motor, the temperature gauge on the dash would not work, because of the differences in sensors.

as far as the fuel gauge, im not sure...possibly the difference in obd between the ecu and gauge cluster?

pull your head out of your ass. were tryin to help the kid here.

edit:

the P2T was from the USDM civic si, with a B16A2, CLEARLY LABELED B16A2. there's NO WAY that this is his motor.

if it's a B16A, it's obd0, unless it's from a VTi, which is RARE, and i doubt this is his motor.

if it was obd1 or 2, it would be a B16A Sir II, B16A2, or B16A3

edit edit: you can't own when you're wrong

I was trying to help the kid, but if your going to make comments directed at me, then my experience will fight you! If someone takes the time and finances to do a swap, their not going to do it half ass with the wrong motor. So don't make up a scenario so you can sound like you have tech skills. Instead read his question, and if you can't answer it based upon his information, then don't answer. If he left out information that would help you answer him, then first think of what he wouldn't have done to his car, like an obd0 in an obd2, and you'll answer your own question.

Why don't we now try to help some more instead of bitch- truce?

phatcivic - if your B16 is an obd0, and you're using an obd0 ecu, it had a cable speedometer and different sensors in the car it was originally in. thus the speedometer and temp. gauge will not work with your obd2 gauge cluster. if your fuel gauge is not working, i'm not sure why, im assuming that it's because of the obd0 ecu again (that is, if you are using an obd0 ecu).

truce.

edit: btw, i took the time and finance to put an obd0 b16 in my 98 civic. boo-yaa!

Truce, cool. But to clear my name, but not to be against you, the P2T was also in OBD2 JDM's. That info is from Hondata. So if it is wrong, then I was informed wrong, so therefore I apologize. And all JDM's are B16A. Sir-I and Sir-II do state the age and therefore obd of the motor, but the B16A is still any JDM B16A. And if it is Obd2, it could also be the B16a3 or a4, but I forgot what those two motors came from- that's why I'm not going to argue them.

I could own because I was right. I can't "not own" just because people read too quickly!!!!!

This isn't against you though civicious, I'm done with that! And besides, why are you asking him how he would have put an OBD0 motor in an OBD2 car when you just said that you did it??? Just look in your driveway and figure it out!!! Did you not do the swap yourself, because if you didn't you missed a hell of alot of painful fun and braggin rights!!!

Peace

the only way to put an obd0 motor in an obd2 car (and have it stay obd0) is to either change out the in-car wiring harness and gauge cluster, or to splice every single wire at the ecu.

i tried to make my stock obd2 harness work, and use an obd2 p72 from a GSR. damn thing would barely idle, much less run.

after 2 months and LOTS of frustration, i gave up, and took it to a shop.
they put an obd2 B16A2 head (USDM) and used an Si wiring harness and P2T ecu.

don't worry, i didn't miss out on the painful fun.

The only way to put an OBD0 motor in your car and have it stay obd0 is to use an obd0 ecu. I don't know why you chose to go through all of that shit, except for the fact that you can buy an obd0 civic motor for only a few hundred dollars. But, how are you ever going to keep that car on the street?

ok, i appreciate everyone trying to help. the engine code on the block says "B16A"... when i got the motor the guys swore up and down it was OBD2, but all this talk about odb0, 1,and 2 is making me dizzy :spin: ... "Civicious"... if it is obd0 and you did this swap into your 98, then what gauge cluster do i use and what ecu do i use... you guys have me all confused... and if i am using the wrong ecu and guages, will this cause other problems with the motor, such as vtec not working and different sensors throwing codes... i ask this cause my SRS light is on and will not go off even when i disconnect the battery... i even tried taking out the passenger side airbag. i understand that Vtec will not work when the motor is throwing codes cause it starts a safe mode kinda thing... will vtec not work if the airbag is out???? someone please help me before i go crazy with this motor :unsure:

Back