Jdm B16a2 Wiring Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lateral4

Here's the deal. I swaped a 2nd generation b16a2 in my 98 ex civic. Now I don't have a wiring harness for the engine at all. I'd like to know what my easiest options are to wire it all up. What harnesses can I hook up to make it work. It's an OBD1 engine. I hear that a 96 del sol will work, or the stock harness. I'd like to hear from someone that has successfully done a jdm b16a2 swap before.

OK first off it doen't matter that it is JDM. You need to either convert your car to OBD1 or the engine to OBD2. Easiest would be make engine OBD2. Swap injectors, dizzy and ECU for OBD2 components, you can probably tradw strait across for them. Then use your Civic harness and add, extend wires to work with the B16.

To make your car OBD1 you will need a ECU jumper harness and then do the same to your Civic harness. Note this option is not legal in the United States it is against Federal EPA regulations. But who cares OBD1 ECU's are easier to tune.

Well, here lies the next problem. I currently don't have any wiring harness. I have looked everywhere online, and at all the local junk yards out here for my stock one, but have had no luck. Do you know where I can find one? Also, my distributor is shot, and I'm not trying to spend 300.00 on a jdm one. What are my options there? Is there a compatible one on an american car?

Forget that it is JDM. It is a B16, same parts from a 99-2000 Si and a Del Sol VTEC. I've seen new distributors on ebay go for $200 or less. A parts store near me has them for $175 just call around your parts stores. The 96-97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC and 99-2000 Civic Si are OBD2 the 95 Del Sol is OBD1. As I understand the 96-99 Civics the ECU connects to the same harness as the engine, it's not two seperate harnesses like the 92-95. You could rewire the entire car with a set of harnesses from a 92-95, but it's probably not worth it. You'll want to find a stock harness and modify it to run your B16. THe EX harness has all the plugs, some just may need to be moved or extended. I have a set of OBD2 injectors I'll sell you if you deciede to change the engine over to OBD2, then get the distributor and a ECU, Hondata has a P28 that will hook up to your OBD2 harness, so you wouldn't have to get a OBD conversion harness. What ECU do you have right now for the B16?

As for finding a stock harness you can post wanted ads all over the net, call some of the Honda specialty yards that sell swaps and keep an eye on your local yards. I think there is one around here, was last time I was checking the yards, I can check on for you if you want.

Do you happen to know where I can get a diagram or something telling me which plugs I'll need to change off of my stock harness? I think I'll probably keep the engine obd1, because I already have a p30 ecu and the conversion harness, just no harness. I would appreciate it if you could check in your area for one. I've been all over here and looked all over the net. I can't find one. Thanks again.

Back