Jdm b18c into em1 ECU and MANIFOLD question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And yes the clatter was ****ING unbearable! They were laughing when I went to pick it up and said it was the most hit LMA they had ever seen lol. Prob due to the water damage. Dunno how much help it would be but decided to buy a Lucas oil zinc additive to my Mobil 1 oil as preventive maintainance... It may be overkill but I'm prob gonna add a few ounces of that stuff to my fresh oil every 3000

I'll get some pics up of the nasty yellow sludge throughout the motor when I get some time. I must say as a buyer it is disturbing to see pics of the gunk before it got extracted from the inside of my "healthy" $3000 dollar purchase

^ yep pretty much. But still B series LMA list at $33 and H22 Type SH list at $11.50 and ITR list at $48.03. The H22 LMA is still much cheaper and out performs the ITR LMA which is still the old hydrolic style and the spring style. All you need to make the H22 LMA work is a .030 I think it was (need to check my spares to verify)shim. A hardened washer will do the job just fine and is what most people use. I had some shims made out of hardened tooling steel. Mild steel washers will get squished and flatten out so dont use them.

S2000 LMAs are only $6.81 at .hondapartsunlimited.com, 14820-PCX-003, the NSX/H22a both use the same 14820-PCB-003 that is $8.21, apparently even though the ITR's is listed as the 14820-P73-J01, they are the same size spring but the pressed in spacer on the bottom is different, I am wondering if the X will fit?

ITR LMA is still the older hydrolic style just designed to handle a bigger cam. IMO H22 LMA is still the best and cheapest way to go as they cost less and can handle that largest cam with ease. I have never heard of anyone trying the S2000 LMA.
JDMnoob, I have a B16 head on my LSV. Oh and just do oild changes with a Mobile1 every 3000 miles and that will be plenty.

Different prices and part numbers everywhere lol.

I do notice that the Type R part number is still a P73 (I guess its still the oil filled LMA's)

But when I looked up a GSR it had # 14820-P30-010 for $23.57

Prelude H22 (1995) came up with three part numbers (all $23.79)
14820-PCB-305
14820-P30-000
14820-P30-010 ($23.79 on this screen but $0.22 cheaper for GSR....same site lol)

I finally looked into my records and found the receipt from hondapartsunlimited.com when I put ITR springs in my B16A head. I bought 8 new LMA's for safe measure.

Part # 14820-PCB-305 $22.25 a piece
These are the same part number as above (Prelude) but I never used a spacer :shrug2:

S2000's seem super cheap......wow. Never heard of them working but I don't doubt the possibility.

Different prices and part numbers everywhere lol.

I do notice that the Type R part number is still a P73 (I guess its still the oil filled LMA's)

But when I looked up a GSR it had # 14820-P30-010 for $23.57

Prelude H22 (1995) came up with three part numbers (all $23.79)
14820-PCB-305
14820-P30-000
14820-P30-010 ($23.79 on this screen but $0.22 cheaper for GSR....same site lol)

I finally looked into my records and found the receipt from hondapartsunlimited.com when I put ITR springs in my B16A head. I bought 8 new LMA's for safe measure.

Part # 14820-PCB-305 $22.25 a piece
These are the same part number as above (Prelude) but I never used a spacer :shrug2:

S2000's seem super cheap......wow. Never heard of them working but I don't doubt the possibility.

From what I understand from a Honda-tech thread is that even though it has the old ITR part number listed, it is superseded by the newer spring style when ordered.

The ITR LMA has never changed as it did not have the same issues as the B16 and GSR LMA. plus the limited number of ITR on the market so Honda never had a demand to update the ITR LMA. Even though the ITR LMA has the same issues as they age or the oil is not changed enough, the lower number of ITR means that the need for replacement LMA was lower, accountants make the decision to update a poor part. The GSR and B16 share the same LMA from the factory. It is very important that you use the H22 SH LMA from what I found when I put mine in is that the normal H22 has a hydro style LMA and you want the spring style ones. The ones I used is part number 14820-PCB-003. Never mind Honda has discontinued the older H22 LMA LOL. The part number I found for B16 LMA is 14820-PCB-305 (updated spring style) and the same for the GSR. ITR is 14820-P73-J01.

Last edited:
The ITR LMA has never changed as it did not have the same issues as the B16 and GSR LMA. plus the limited number of ITR on the market so Honda never had a demand to update the ITR LMA. Even though the ITR LMA has the same issues as they age or the oil is not changed enough, the lower number of ITR means that the need for replacement LMA was lower, accountants make the decision to update a poor part. The GSR and B16 share the same LMA from the factory. It is very important that you use the H22 SH LMA from what I found when I put mine in is that the normal H22 has a hydro style LMA and you want the spring style ones. The ones I used is part number 14820-PCB-003. Never mind Honda has discontinued the older H22 LMA LOL. The part number I found for B16 LMA is 14820-PCB-305 (updated spring style) and the same for the GSR. ITR is 14820-P73-J01.

I placed the order for the parts and went to pick them up. Apparently, Honda is no longer making the LMA we are all used to for the BVTEC heads, and instead have switched to the spring style as found in S2000, K-Family, and OBD2 Preludes. The old part # has been superceeded to 14820-PCB-305, which is NOT the same as the OBD1 Prelude w/ .040" washer trick, which was part # 14820-PCB-003. Below are some pics...

LMA1.jpg

Just going by what's posted.

I am going by Honda Dealer current parts list. The P73 ITR LMA is still in use. It is possible that since the newer spring LMA is far better that some dealerships may not inventory the P73 LMA and just sell the updated version. But if you what the ITR LMA you can still get them, the H22/updated LMA can handle a much larger cam than the ITR LMA. Stil I think the H22 is the way to go save some $$ and get H22 LMA and buy $.50 worth of hardened washers. Oh and the spacer needs to be .040" not .030.

Back