JDM B18C-R into EM1 2000 civic Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hachiebang

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in swapping a JDM B18C-R into my EM1 2000 civic Si/SiR.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and recently there have been changes to the etest that requires plugging into my computer do a scan. No longer is the sniff test and I was wondering how do I get around this?

Since my car is a 2000... I cannot register it as a hotrod so that is out of the question.

Would I need to get a different harness, cpu or some kind of product so it would not throw any engine light code during emissions? I heard that as long as their is no engine light that comes up during the etest I am fine even though the VIN # on the engine doesn't match the chasis.

I am also not interested in doing the CKF bypass trick as it may cause more headaches down the road...

Another way would be to use some of my b16 parts from old engine and swap out some of the B18C-R engine such as the vtec solenoid and have it properly done. However, one shop told me that most of the internals between the b16 and b18 are similar so this is not necessary.

Or.... I heard that after I get the swap done... I can use my stock 2000 civic si cpu, "get it ready" (don't know how they exactly do this) before the emissions test, have it done and then revert back to the right setting for my b18c-r so I can run the motor properly after...

Sorry everyone I'm kind of new to this and want to I'm getting myself into. :)

Thank you!

-B

Welcome to Hondaswap! :wave:

Since you're in Canada, I'm going to assume that your Si is the D16Y8 variant... (same as the US market EX model) in which case you should be able to plug in a local market OBD2B Integra GS-R ECU to at least run your engine well enough to pass emissions. Most of your existing wiring should work fine. You could run a piggyback fuel controller on top of whatever OBD2 ECU you're able to get for the engine to keep things running well enough for emissions testing, then go back to whatever tuning solution you decide to run the rest of the time- look into OBD2 -> OBD1 conversions and tuning solutions.

If your Si is like the US model with the B16A engine in it, you have it easy- the stock ECU will probably run the B18C-R well enough to not throw any codes.

-----

Never mind, finally caught where you said you had a B16A for the stock engine- just try to run it on the stock ECU and see if it'll work. You can swap over sensors from your stock engine to the new one if you need to for everything to behave- maybe use a piggyback to fool a few of the ECU's inputs to pass, then swap over to whatever tuneable ECU you want to run the rest of the time.

Welcome to Hondaswap! :wave:

Since you're in Canada, I'm going to assume that your Si is the D16Y8 variant... (same as the US market EX model) in which case you should be able to plug in a local market OBD2B Integra GS-R ECU to at least run your engine well enough to pass emissions. Most of your existing wiring should work fine. You could run a piggyback fuel controller on top of whatever OBD2 ECU you're able to get for the engine to keep things running well enough for emissions testing, then go back to whatever tuning solution you decide to run the rest of the time- look into OBD2 -> OBD1 conversions and tuning solutions.

If your Si is like the US model with the B16A engine in it, you have it easy- the stock ECU will probably run the B18C-R well enough to not throw any codes.

-----

Never mind, finally caught where you said you had a B16A for the stock engine- just try to run it on the stock ECU and see if it'll work. You can swap over sensors from your stock engine to the new one if you need to for everything to behave- maybe use a piggyback to fool a few of the ECU's inputs to pass, then swap over to whatever tuneable ECU you want to run the rest of the time.

Hey buddy, thanks for the warm welcome =)

Sorry for the confusion... In Canada it is called the 2000 civic SiR, in US it is called the Si hehe

First of all, can you please enlighten me what is a "piggyback" and where I can get one? hahah sounds funny to a newbie like me but clueless at the same time.. love the terms hehe :)

So are you suggesting (aside me confused about the piggyback part)...that I..

1. keep my stock 2000 civic Si computer to run a JDM ITR b18C-R motor to do the etest (which requires a plugin to my obd2b computer)

2. Do a piggyback instead? (confused about that here... I would still need to use my 2000 civic si computer for this too right?)

3.after having the test done I revert back to my old tuning settings from a obd2->obd1 conversion harness thingy and tune it with the obd1 computer... something like hondata?

Is swapping the sensors necessary? What are some of the sensors? Can you please be clear about which sensors swap to where? Eg. oem 2000 civic si sensors go into my b18c-r swap to do etest, then remove after.

I would also keep my stock 02 sensors that came with my 2000 civic Si car I'm assuming..

Also.. I'm assuming do I need to swap it back to drive the car for the rest of time?

Thank you!!

hey man I have a 2000 civic sir and I'm doin the same swap rite now how'd it go ima lil confused

Back