JDM B20B + USDM OBD2 ECU = not friends :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

ok, I'm posting this for a friend of mine that can't seem to get this straightened out...
He swapped a JDM B20B into his EK hatch, but apparently there is no spot on the block for a crank position sensor. Since it's an EK and emissions/legality issues being what they are as of recently, he HAS to run the car OBD2, but I'm not aware of any OBD2 ecu that doesn't look for a cps signal. And as far as I know most JDM ecu's won't pass the new US emissions bullshit.

So other than swapping the block back out for a cps-equipped version, or modifying the existing block for one (which would be a bitch since the motor is already in the car), or running it OBD1 which is obviously not an option, is there a somewhat simple solution here that we are overlooking?

Find out the voltage readings that the CPS sends, hook up a controlled (possibly variable) DC voltage to it, and 'fool' the computer into thinking it's actually there.

we thought of that, but is it a good idea? I'm not sure exactly what the ecu uses the cps signal for because he's been driving the car for awhile now and its been running fine, but the ecu is obviously aware that there is no signal and it's probably just ignoring it (or working around it). The only obvious problem is that its throwing the SEL and won't pass inspection because of it.

plus the cps isn't like a constant signal like a tps, it's a pulse every time the crank comes around so that the ecu knows where tdc is. So not only would it be very difficult to fabricate a signal that would be even close to being correct to the ecu, but what would the ecu do with that incorrect signal?

Back