1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM B20Vtec Build

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by DanTheHondaMan, Dec 5, 2016.

1. DanTheHondaMan

DanTheHondaMan Active Member

Well I won't know til I pull the head. Thats the thing.

Im like 90% its the headgasket because everything points to that.

I was just wondering what the likilhood of a cracked sleeved based on ya'lls experience.

2. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

It's hard to say whether it's a cracked sleeve because there's no great way of testing it. A compression test will show low numbers and you're also likely to find mixture of oil and coolant. The only way to know for sure is to have a look at the cylinders and to do that you must pull the head.

You need to sit down and think about what you want out of the car. If you don't, you'll continue to chase your tail with these little issues even after you build the other engine. Have a power goal and build the car to meet that power goal plus a safety factor. When you get to tuning the car, undercut your power goal by 20-30 whp and call it a day. It is the only way to ensure some reliability out of a build on one of these cars.

3. DanTheHondaMan

Well I DON'T have water in oil and I DON'T have oil in water. Both are clean and there is no contamination.

The head gasket is leaking oil behind the engine underneath the intake manifold and I can see very minute oil seep on cam side at head gasket and under ANY boost pressure it pushes coolant out the radiator through the reserve bottle.

Those symptoms along with having oem headgasket and oem head bolts everything is pointing to headgasket+head float under boost.

Otherwise the engine runs perfect. Not overheating, no smoke, no rough idle, everything is smooth otherwise.

Well we will see soon enough.

I wanted 400whp out of it. But if I make 350whp I will be happy until I finish my other motor.

4. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

Lol turn the boost down on that motor and enjoy it while building other motor

5. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Seems like you are just wasting money and time on this current motor. If it were me I would build the new motor.

6. DanTheHondaMan

I'm trying to decide wether to buy cometic, golden eagle, or oem headgasket.

I'm getting mixed responses from people I know.

Any preference and why?

7. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted