JDM D15b 3 stage vtec help!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

anyway, from the look of things, i really have no choice but to look for the parts that you said... so right now, what i feel that the VTEC is not engaging, its not really engaging, right? even if the engine has no problem revving up to cut off? so every time i ran the car up to 7000 rpms its just running on 12valves? the regular 16 valves is not running and also the wild cam? maybe that's the reason i am having bad gas mileage... your thoughts will be appreciated again...

Where are you from? How did they install a fuel injected engine into a carb'd car? Thats a whole bunch of work.

i'm from the Philippines. its not really a lot of work. but had to change the fuel tank, and the wiring harness had to be recalibrated also. other than that, its a straightforward swap. well they were used to changing carb engines into the single vtec D15b that they thought probably the 3 stage vtec is the same....

Well the 3 stage D15 is OBD2 and its very difficult to convert it up to OBD2 to run the proper ECU for the 3 stage. I would figure out what ECU they put it and see if you can install a D16Z6 VTEC solonoid onto that head with a D16Z6 dizzy and P28 ECU. That would be the easiest way to run it properly.

what if i can find the OBD2 manual ECU (P2J-003) do you think the problems will be solved even though the IM and TB came from an AUTO???

You could try to run it OBD2 but it's a big ordeal. It would probably take longer and cost more to convert a bunch of crap to OBD2 than to run OBD1.

And theres no way to get around the IM...it has to be manual.

thanks again... i already found a supplier who has P2J-003; that is the manual ECU but i can't find a manual P2J intake manifold, so even though i install the manual ECU, i still need the manual intake manifold right... men, that will cost a lot....

The 3 stage VTEC manifold is the same as the later D16Y8 intake manifold that has the EGR.

You can convert an auto manifold to manual by drilling a hole for the IACV and changing the throttle body.

Converting to OBD2 is not a big deal. You can use an OBD1 non-VTEC, d-series distributor. And you can buy a conversion harness and just add the EGR, knock, and crank sensor wires.

Last edited:
Well the 3 stage D15 is OBD2 and its very difficult to convert it up to OBD2 to run the proper ECU for the 3 stage. I would figure out what ECU they put it and see if you can install a D16Z6 VTEC solonoid onto that head with a D16Z6 dizzy and P28 ECU. That would be the easiest way to run it properly.

You've never seen this motor and you don't know anything about it.

You can't swap the VTEC solenoid.
dual_solenoid.jpg

If you put a Z6 distributor on an OBD2 motor, you can't get enough adjustment for the base ignition timing. You can use just about any other 88-00 D series distributor except that one.

The P28 wont work right. There is no way that it can control the 2 stages of VTEC. It would try to jump from 12 valve mode to wild cam mode, which is bad on your valvetrain. Also, you lose all power after about 3500 RPM and you never make it into VTEC because the load is too low. You could wire the first solenoid to ignition power to force it into permanent 16 valve mode and let it actuate VTEC, but this is far from ideal.

I ran it this way for a short time while I was sorting out some issues with an AEM EMS. It didn't idle quite right. The OBD2 D series head went through a drastic change and the OBD1 tune is way off. The torque peaks differently and the ignition timing requirements are far less due to the increased efficiency. The manifold design and ports are very differently. Also, the VTEC crossover for the 3 stage VTEC is higher than it is for the Z6.

You really shouldn't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You should at least disclose that you have no real world experience, and you certainly shouldn't dispute the statements of someone who has.

@suspendedHatch... i hope you're talking about GlassHeadlights.... i really need help on the D15b 3 stage engine i bought that does not seem to work right, well it is not really working right... the whole engine basically came from a CVT tranny, including the ECU (P2J-J62)... but the stock tranny is manual... can you help out? like can you give a step by step guide or something to that effect. please let me know if you need further information... thank you

You really shouldn't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You should at least disclose that you have no real world experience, and you certainly shouldn't dispute the statements of someone who has.
No need to flame man. I didn't know that, it's good you pointed that out. I've never dealt with that motor, just the USDM D-series ones. I thought it was similar. :dunno:

Back