jdm d15b ingition timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:huh: in the mornings when my car is cold it feels much livelier with that much more torque,once the temp needle reaches halfway mark,it feels as though im towing something.the difference is slight but it makes all the difference in terms of drivability....

its an 1996 japan made ek3 ,fitted with a d15b engine with 2 vtec solenoids, (3 stage vtec),,,the fuel available here is 93 ocatne ,i was thinking that perhaps the ecu advances ignition timing when engine is cold ,why this woul happen i dont know,its the only explanation i can cum up with for the enhanced torque and livelier feel....

i am now thinking of slightly advancing my ignitio timing,the distributor seems to be orientated more clockwise than anti clockwise...my engine is in excellent condition,exhaust has a nice rust colour,spews out water from exh in morning..

I dont have a timing gun what guidlines do i use to advancing the ign timing without causing detonation??? :confused:

The ECU doesn't advance the ignition based on temp...it modifies the fuel instead. The ignition is rpm-based. When the engine is cold, the motor runs richer.

Back