JDM D15B Vtec into 93 fodo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
Hey haven't been here in almost a year or so what's up? Anyway I'll have enough money to grab a d15b with tranny and p08 ecu I don't have to worry about emissions where I'm at. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for this swap?

FYI I'm in highschool not very experienced my shop teacher is kind enough to let me use the school's shop so does anyone with a lot of experience have helpful tips I should know about? It seems simple enough to me just drain fluids disconnect the hoses and everything from the engine remove the axles and yank it out right? By the way I've searched already but I just want to know if there's ANYTHING else I should know about.

I would definitely buy a repair manual such as a Helm's before you start working on it. If you get stuck somewhere you'll want something to reference, as well as having all the proper torque specs and everything when you start putting it back together. There is some good info here on this site too..
https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/engine-removal-guide-29124/

You are also going to need to run the wires for the VTEC components on your new engine when you get it installed.. and replacing the t-belt, water pump, and clutch as mentioned is a good idea while the engine is out of the car. Makes it 100 times easier..

I have a Haynes honda civic (5th gen) repair manual. haha I have to get my cooling system checked out anyway it's not circulating at all (thank god a cold winter's around the corner :) but yea about torqing you mean they have to be tightened to an exact spec? The guys on d-series.org told me it's as easy as unbolt it all take it out drop in the new and bolt it back up.

Also I want to go ahead and take out my ecu just how do you do it? I found under the passenger kick panel but I don't see anywhere to unscrew it or take it off.

naa its a super easy swap it will drop right in and wire right up. if you have a si or ex but if not all you will have to do is run a couple wires, easy easy easy

Are you supposed to remove the ecu from the interior or from the engine bay? If it's from the interior I have no idea how that's done.

lol yea its on the inside down under the kick panel, on the passenger side, but if your gona run the p08 ecu remember you will also need to run a 1 wire o2 sensor

I know where it is but it's like I can't find any screws or anything to get it off. And what if I don't run the 02 sensor? The VTEC wiring sounds kinda hard to do you just run a wire from the vtec solenoid and oil pressure sensor on the engine to the ecu and a ground and that's it? I would think all the necessary wiring would already be there vtec and all since I'm getting both the JDM ECU and JDM d15b engine...but is an 02 sensor necessary?

Any other wiring?

Last edited:
yes you have to have a o2 sensor for the car to run right if your gona use the p08 you need a 1 wire o2 if your gona use a p28 you need a 4 wire o2

And how do you wire up the o2 sensor? I want to know EVERYTHING I should know before I go through with the swap.

you stock harness will already have a place for a o2 sensor, just use that,its already wired up but if your gona use the 1 wire with the po8 just splice into the signle wire

That's right I have to stick to my USDM harness. Hm....how will I know which wire it is from the po8? Or does it all correspond with my current ecu? Man this is confusing I'm looking at the complete wiring diagram from my Hayne's manual right now...looks like there's 4 wires coming from the heated oxygen sensor but only one comes from the ecu that's labled "o2" that's D14.

lol ok,, drop your motor in plug everything up plug the po8 ecu up and hook the exhaust up and you will see the wires with a clip that goes to the o2 sensor., out of those 4 wires find the signal wire splice the 1 wire o2 sensor into that and your ready to go as far as that

And by the way does the ecu come out from the kick panel interior or do you have to take it out from the engine bay? I can't see how it comes off from the interior if it does. I gotta go to work i'll be on later 2nite.

its down under the kick panel, on the passenger side it unscrews and comes right out just take your time and look at it real good because all of this is very easy

Alright I'll take another look tomorrow after school thanks for all the help and tips keep them coming I'll be asking more in the next couple weeks when I order the swap and get started :). The swap sounds easy but the F'n wiring confuses the shit outta me.

Alright I'll take another look tomorrow after school thanks for all the help and tips keep them coming I'll be asking more in the next couple weeks when I order the swap and get started :). The swap sounds easy but the F'n wiring confuses the shit outta me.
no problem just ask if you need anything,, i done the same swap in a 1991 crx in just a few hours, and your putting it in a 93 making it ten times easier

O and one more quickie before I go to sleep...When is the best time to deal with the wiring? After I've already completed the swap?

well some ppl say no but i say yes, i like putting the motor in then wireing it all up, everything will plug right up, then you will just have to run a few extra wires for the vtec. its real easy will get there no worries

Back