JDM H22 into 99 Accord LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 99 accord LX and would like to swap the H23 VTEC for something a little more potent and more cheaply upgradeable. I haven't found any inexpensive turbo / super charger kits for my car and that's half the reason I want to swap. I was thinking JDM H22A OBD2 swap. Can I use the same tranny from my H23? I've never done a swap before so I really don't know what's involved. Is this something I can do or should I find someone with some experience?? Thanks for the input!

I split your topic off since it's a new question.

You've got an F23A1 in there, not an H23. :)

You can use the F23 tranny, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's weak, and it's very long-geared, which isn't good for n/a setups.

Look around this site for info on an H-series engine into an Accord. You should get most of your questions answered that way.

Sorry for my ignorance, but even the 2.3L VTEC motor in the 99 Accords is an F23A1? What kind of engine mods / engine swaps would you recommend for this car? I would like to put 300hp into it if possible, but I don't know a whole lot about these things. Thanks! :worthy:

No worries.

Yes, the F23A1 is the only engine that came in 6th gen Accords. All were VTEC, 155 horses.

If you want 300 horsepower out of it (and not swap it), your only option is boosting it (with or without the aid of nitrous). You'll have to do some major work to the engine, and you're probably looking at close to $7500 just for the engine mods and turbo package, not to mention the suspension, tranny and brake work you'll need to handle that power.

Would it be more adviseable to swap for a different engine that could handle more power / boost instead of tweaking the F23A1?

The problem is, you're talking about several of the bigger-displacement inline 4 engines out there (2.2L). And they're all naturally-aspirated from the factory, which means they aren't equipped to handle very much boost. Swapping in an H-series engine of the same displacement isn't going to lower the total cost of your goal very much (300 horses). The H-series will be a little better suited to handle your project (the main difference being dual cam), but for those kind of numbers, you'll have to replace most of the guts anyway. An H-series engine would be a good swap if you're only planning on running 6-8 psi of boost max. And then, you're probably looking at 260-280 at the flywheel, so maybe 240-250 at the wheels.

So if I kept the stock F23A1, re-sleeved it and put forged pistons in, I could safely run 6+ psi? It has the stock 5 spd tranny, would a tranny swap be a good idea so it can handle the additional horses? Also, how much would a typical flywheel swap (for a lighter one ~8-9lbs) cost since I might have the tranny out anyway. Thanks!

You'd probably be able to run those psi numbers if you built the bottom end, but any more than that and you should probably upgrade your valvetrain as well.

A tranny upgrade would be a good idea if you're looking to run anything over 250 whp or so.

And if you're looking at a flywheel setup, check into a clutch/flywheel package to be able to handle the power. I wouldn't recommend a superlight flywheel (8.5 lbs), I'd tell you to get a flywheel in the neighborhood of 12 pounds so that you don't "outrun" your turbo.

How much you think all this would run me (I can't install either):

Re-sleeve & Forged Pistons for F23A1 (if even available)

H22 Tranny with new lighter (11lbs) flywheel & clutch

H22 Turbo Kit with Intercooler to run 6-8psi

Thanks for all the help!

How much you think all this would run me (I can't install either):

Re-sleeve & Forged Pistons for F23A1 (if even available)

H22 Tranny with new lighter (11lbs) flywheel & clutch

H22 Turbo Kit with Intercooler to run 6-8psi

Thanks for all the help!

so is this without swapin to an h22a obd2? and if it isnt h22 turbo kit can fit in a f23a1?( if the first question is a no).....how much horsepower would that be up there? 300?

This was with swapping an H22a into the accord. However, if a H22a turbo will fit the F23a1, it would be a cheaper upgrade, but you still have to deal with the SOHC :(

Back