JDM h22 into a USDM h23 lude...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kyle_G

Ok.. so my buddy blew up his engine a few weeks ago.. and being the stubborn fool he is.. he JUST had to have a h22 installed... and a JDM to boot. So he got the engine.. but theres a few problems..
1) The JDM exhaust manifold wont bolt up to his exhaust flange on his 92 prelude. What can i do to remedy this? Should i just find a skilled fabricator to conjure something up for me?
2) He needs a VTEC ecu.. but everywhere he goes.. asking for a p13 odb1 ecu.. people tell him they need to know the rest of the numbers before they can locate one for him.. but all of the people ive talked to.. said he doesnt need to know anything more then -- p13/obd1-- wtf is up with that?
3) Not only being a fool.. hes impatient... and so is his dad.. so instead of letting me do my research on the engine.. and find out everything im gonna need to have done this swap... he just paid some guy he found at a junkyard to do it. Doesnt really know what hes doing... but said he did.. All he did was yank the old engine out.. and drop the new one in.. got stumped.. and now its in my hands.
4) Will the stock throttle body of the USDM h23 mate up to the JDM h22?
5) Once he locates the proper ECU.. im told hes needs to wire the engine for vtec and a knock sensor... what is the best way to go about doing this?
6) In refference to question number 1... will the h23 stock exhaust manifold bolt up to the h22?(He went out and bought a new manifold for the h22... i wanted to beat him with it.. seeing as how it was a useless purchase and a waste of money.. damn spoiled brats.)

I know this is alot of shit to answer... but ANY help would be greatly appreciated.. i need to get this show on the road... and get him behind the wheel again... so he can blow this engine and i get to tinker with his car again :)

Does the H23 have a knock sensor, I thought it did. So, if you use the H23 harness(which should fit nicely over the H22), all you'd have to wire is the VTEC. This should have been a straight over swap.

Search EBAY for the ECU. I bought mine for 160 and 20 for shipping. There are guys on there that do this for a living. If your buddy is impatient, he can drive the H22 for a while with the H23 ECU. He just won't have VTEC.

I placed a bunch of pics in a gallery earlier that were helpful to me. I have more I need to scan, but those should help. Search for my gallery, and you'll find some helpful info.

The knock sensor is above the oil filter. The Pressure switch is below. Your VTEC solenoid is next to your distributor.

Give it a shot, it's not hard.

the ECU wiring is the least of my worries.. seeing as how he doesnt even have the ECU yet. And i already told him about using the h23 ecu and not having vtec... his spoiled ass said no. So thats out of the question.. but thanks anyways..

My main concern as of now is the exhaust manifold.. i cant imagine honda designing the block differently for only .1 liters worth of displacment.. but i havent had a chance to get under the car and do anything. Any one know off the top of their head to save me some time? It'd be greatly appreciated :)

you can't use the h23 manifold. sorry.

Your best bet would be to see if you can get the downpipe that came with the h22a1.... the rest should bolt up fine.

I have an extra one..... but I live in Hawaii! :lol:

Back