JDM H22 warming up fast / overheating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

G_Loc

Ever since I did my JDM swap, the H22 has been warming up faster than the H23 did. In about 1 - 1.5 miles of relatively low speed driving (~40 mph), the temp gauge is already in the middle. It takes a really long time for the engine to cool down. For instance, last night I drove 2 miles to school for class. An hour and a half later when I left, the temp gauge was still on the second bar and within a minute, it had already risen to the middle. The ignition and valve timing is correct.

Another problem I've been having is that the engine sometimes overheats, but only at night when I have the lights on and during sustained stop and go traffic. The temp gauge never goes past the middle when I drive during the day, even during really bad traffic where I'm stuck idling for 5 - 10 minutes. I'm thinking the fans sometimes aren't coming on when I have the lights on, so its probably a bad ground or another electrical issue.

I never had either of these problems with the H23, which had ~172k miles on it when I removed it.

Anyone care to guess what may be wrong?

Thanks

Thermostat?

Is it cold out where you live= frozen water in radiator hoses?

The fan only comes on when your car reaches a certain temp. to aid in the cooling effort. So I doubt it would be your fan, but you should chack your grounds too.

Thermostat?

Is it cold out where you live= frozen water in radiator hoses?

The fan only comes on when your car reaches a certain temp. to aid in the cooling effort. So I doubt it would be your fan, but you should chack your grounds too.

I'm down in Miami, so the coldest weather my car has seen this year is about 52 degrees, lol

I replaced the thermostat with genuine Honda one before dropping the motor in

where did you get the motor from? does it smoke at all?

check your oil and your coolant, make sure they aren't mixed or low.

could be a possible headgasket.

I'm down in Miami, so the coldest weather my car has seen this year is about 52 degrees, lol

I replaced the thermostat with genuine Honda one before dropping the motor in
WOW im dreaming for that kind of weather right now.

My car did this and I changed the thermostat and upper hose because mine was frozen(considering I live in cold ass Utah)

Hmmm other than that im stumped
Good luck!

where did you get the motor from? does it smoke at all?

check your oil and your coolant, make sure they aren't mixed or low.

could be a possible headgasket.

I got it from Hmotorsonline back in May. Oil and coolant levels are fine and there doesn't seem to be any mixing.

I'm using my old Si radiator, you think it might have some blocked passages?

Also, when I first got the motor running, there apparently was a fuel mixture problem which caused the cat to glow red when I first test drove it. Could the cat the partially blocked causing the engine to run warmer than normal? Its a high flow cat btw.

no matter what happened with your motor, you cat (or any other engine component) should glow red. you may have overheated your motor extremely.

test your radiator. disconnect both top and bottom of the plumbing and just pour water into the top and see if it drains like it should.

if you must drive it and can't get it fixed right away, turn your heater on full. it will draw the heat out of the engine bay.

Wow dude glowing red.................youve got a big issue.
+2 on turning your heater on full blast.

Wow dude glowing red.................youve got a big issue.
+2 on turning your heater on full blast.

No no no, this only happened during the first test drive that I took when I first dropped the motor in. I didn't have the ignition timing right or something. Its no longer doing this.

Back