jdm h22a auto....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driver1

hey i was just reading my latest copy of honda tuning and they have a how to on the accord h22 swap....so as im reading this they begin to talk about different engines and what not and then they go on to saying "It doesnt matter much to us, but note the automatic engine cars had only 180 hp so beware if someone tries to sell you an engine/ecu without its original transmission." So is this true because due to the incredible amount of bullshit i went through when getting my motor i ended up with what was an engine without tranny and it was an auto i beleive because it had the disc with all the holes in it still bolted to it where the flywheel would be(forgot the name of this). so is this true??? can anyone answer this for me i am in fear that i am sporting much less power than i thought now

they are speaking of the jdm models in the quote.

also i got my ecu sepratley from another place and it is a jdm 5 speed ecu so would this make a differince? i know the autos are supposed to have a slightly less aggressive cam but is that all that makes the differince or is more of it in the ecu? any help would be great i really want to get to thwe bottom of this

feb 2004 and its not a toque convertor buddy, i know what that is this is the plate that sits behind it and just to note, torque convertors donthave a bunch of holes in them if you read my post carefully u would have noticed that....also i assume that you cant answer my ques

also i dont think the article is gonnatell you anything you couldnt find on this site

If it came with a thin metal plate where the flywheel usually goes then it is an automatic motor. That thin plate is called the flexplate. the cam profile is way less agressive because the auto transmissions have fewer gears and work at a lower rpm then a manual. therefore the pawerband will start to drop off sooner then a manual.

I got a sohc zc motor for my civic. it came out of an automatic car, the powerband totally sucked. insted of pulling hard all the way to the fuel cut at 7200 rpm, it would pull hard till about 5700, and then start falling flat on its face.

sorry to break the news to you

i know that is was an from an auto and yes it was a flex plate, but this wasnt my question, and also i do not experience this drop off that you speak of it def pulls hard all they way through vtec and right to the fuel cut and i also knew for sure that the cam profile was less aggressive but i cant imagine it would make for 20 les hp. what i want to know is if some of it maybe in the ecu as well

edit* and you havent really broken any news to me either <_<

Sorry that i didnt answer your question...

The auto ecu is also programed with less agressive fuel and timing maps for the same reasons that the cam is less agressive.

and remember that my motor wasnt a vtec motor, so i didnt have the advantage of the second set of cam lobes

Come to think about it... I remember hearing somewhere that an auto ecu wont even work right on a manual car without throwing a check engine light

i know that.....why dont you read my post and you will realize that that is irrelavent because i have a 5 speed ecu

A set of cams would not be that much. I have an auto and it pulls hard to the top. That's not to say that I would not like more aggressive cams, but it runs great.

I thought the second set of lobes were similar, whereas the the first set of lobes were optimized for either auto or manual. Once your moving, it doesn't matter much. An aggressive set of cams, gears, and tuning will probably be in my future.

ya that sounds as though it could be correct, i mean the car does go real well, its not as though it doesnt feel very powerful. its just i was wondering abou the specs and if what i read was correct or not. i mean i was aware that the auros had a less aggressive set of cams but i wasnt aware that it wouls make for only 180hp, but then again that would also be with the auto ecu to i assume so i dunno iwas j/c to know if the info was correct but thanks for the help.

remember that hp is a deriviant made from torque@X rpms

If the auto cams make the same torque at a lower RPM, this does not make the "power" any less, but the hp number would be lower. I AM NOT claiming that this is the case, but it could be part of the answer.

(torque x rpms)/5200= hp

We've had this debate before.. anyway. The cams in the auto h22 are the same as the manual h22.

Went to the the 1/4 this weekend and got a 14.9 (It's a 93 accord ex with everything in tact). My buddy with a h22 in his 94 coupe pulled off a 14.7

so the auto turned out to be .2 slower.. :roll:

well thats cool i actually have a 94 ex coupe myself with a manual but when i got my motor it was originally an auto so that is why i wondered

I would still change the timingbelts, cam gears, and maybe cams with the engine out. Definitely change the belts.

i guess theres a small misunderstanding here. I already have the motor in my car,(hence the sig) and have had for a while. This is how i spoke of how the car goes in my earlier threads....i just wated to know if the information i had read was corrct or not, thats all. I know your only trying to help and i appreciate that, but i swear sometimes posts are not paid attention to while they are being read... i know that sounds stupid but everytime i post, its like i have to clarify something that i already said, one way or another in an earlier post. No offense to you tab whatsoever i appreciate your help alot, but generally thats how it seems to go. If anyone thinks im loony just go back and carefully read this whole thread and you should see what im saying.

Back