JDM H22A into a 1993 Civic DX coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TorganFM

I've been looking into putting an H22A into my Civic because a) my car doesnt have enough go and B) it is reasonably cheap compared to other engines. I need to know how hard it is to do, if possible, and can I keep my a/c? I've looked around a lot for a guide or suggestions or something, but I haven't found definite answers to my questions. Thanks.

Edit: Also what parts do i need as far as new axles, wiring, etc? I have no idea about those things.

yes you can use the air. get some hcp mounts and you'll be fine. the hcp mounts are the best fit that i've seen and there is tons of room for the air up front. i'm getting ready to do the same in my eg hatch so i've looked into the details and know peope with the setup. i'm going to do air also so i made sure of it lol.

good luck maybe even post up some pics of the complete

dude your 16, not tryin to flame or anything but why dont you get a little more driving experience before you drop a motor like that into your civic. you couldnt control it. there are 30 year old men who cant control a h22 civic. ive seen them at the track just smack the wall at the line cause the guy couldnt control all the understeer and torque in that light of a car

I don't plan on racing it, it just doesn't have any go as it is right now.
And if I was older I wouldn't be driving a Civic.

if u dont plan on racing it then dont put a h22 in it, it sucks for street use, go with a b16 or somthing like that,

B series=cool power
H series=EXTREME power

Look at the engine facts.

B series can be powerful though. My suggestion to you is start with B16 and you can always beef it up. I have seen b16's have up to and over 300hp at the wheels. To start out with they are pretty decent. I believe that you will be happy with the B16.

alright thanks thats the kind of answer I was looking for :) and with a B series engine I will have enough room for a super or turbo a little later, correct? also I'm finding H22A swaps for around $2000-2400 whereas comparable B's are twice the price.

I just saw on an engine sales site that they sell engines for track use only and not road use, does that mean some of the engines aren't street legal? Would a JDM H22A be one of these?

I live in Fresno CA and these swaps are hella illegal! People always get pulled over for racing and get their car's impounded and I always see the police popping their hoods. They are not smog legal here but in some states their are no smog laws. Thats the only thing I can think of why they are illegal. I am going to do it no matter what but when it comes time to smog, my plan is so far is to take a $100 bill and a 24 pack of Corona to a little smog shop downtown and just lay it out and tell them "hey my car needs to pass smog. Can you do it?" I dont know any other way. I am probably going to get screwed when I do the swap. But I dont have to smog my car until 2005 because i just got it. :nod:

ddue there room for turbo in a h22 civic, and yes u can get your car smogged legally if you know what you are doing! just buy the motor the same year or newer (same obd) and get it Ref!

Originally posted by TorganFM@Oct 5 2003, 04:37 PM
yeah it'll be quite a while as I'm 16 and I don't have any money

I would recommend saving up, because it's not going to be 2000-2500. Don't forgen you're going to need axels, linkage, mounts, maybe a smart thing to do is replace the timing belt and clutch on the engine that you get. and from all these questions it doesnt sound like you would be able to do all that by yourself. do some research, get some practice, and then think about swaping an H22 in your civic

Trust me, you want to go B series. It sounds like you really don't know what you're doing, so any swap is going to be hard. But you can swap a B with a mount kit and slight wiring changes. I'm putting a 97 h22 into a 97 civic, and it has been 3 months and isn't done. With an h22 you need new mounts, completely new shift linkage, cutting is required to intsall the new shifter. Also you will run into a world of wiring problems since none of the h22 plugs fit to your civic, so that all needs to be custom, but the good news is that intregra axles will fit and you can get these at napa for like $60 a piece. Also, despite what most people say, good luck with a/c, not going to happen without getting a new fan. I couldn't even use my stock fan on my radiator. Also, make sure you get the H22 compressor for you a/c cuz your civic one won't work. Then you run the risk of huge fines for bleeding your coolant into the air. And for a 93 it is r-12, and not r-134a, so it is much more toxic. So you may want to get the a/c emptied at a local shop before starting. Also, you can use an accord tranny off of a h23 and it might actually help a little the gearing will help with all the added torque. Hope this helps anyone that reads it. Enjoy your swap, I am :) .

Originally posted by wachezagi@Oct 24 2003, 03:03 PM
Trust me, you want to go B series. It sounds like you really don't know what you're doing, so any swap is going to be hard. But you can swap a B with a mount kit and slight wiring changes. I'm putting a 97 h22 into a 97 civic, and it has been 3 months and isn't done. With an h22 you need new mounts, completely new shift linkage, cutting is required to intsall the new shifter. Also you will run into a world of wiring problems since none of the h22 plugs fit to your civic, so that all needs to be custom, but the good news is that intregra axles will fit and you can get these at napa for like $60 a piece. Also, despite what most people say, good luck with a/c, not going to happen without getting a new fan. I couldn't even use my stock fan on my radiator. Also, make sure you get the H22 compressor for you a/c cuz your civic one won't work. Then you run the risk of huge fines for bleeding your coolant into the air. And for a 93 it is r-12, and not r-134a, so it is much more toxic. So you may want to get the a/c emptied at a local shop before starting. Also, you can use an accord tranny off of a h23 and it might actually help a little the gearing will help with all the added torque. Hope this helps anyone that reads it. Enjoy your swap, I am :) .

I agree with some of the points that he makes. The H22 swap is much more involved, and you don't seem to be ready for something like that yet. Not that it isn't possible to do, but I don't think that you should jump into that for your first swap. Just like everyone else says, you may be able to find the motor for 2K, but then you still need the h22 linkage and shifter assembly, custom axles, motormounts, and what not. Now on the other hand ifyou don't want to do something like a b16 maybe you should look at b18c1 or a gsr motor. They are an easier swap then the h22, but still quite powerful. Good luck kid.

man!! i got an jdm h22 swap in my 94 civic and it flys only thing that sucks is on cornering!! im haveing problems with my suspention right now but thats the only thing and going with an jdm h22 you got mojos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back